best android phone on ATT?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What do you think is the best carrier android phone for att? I might not have a choice but to get a android phone in store from att with their next program. But I'm not sure which phone out of the moto x, HTC one, or s4 is best considering I'm going to have to be going through my carrier (ATT)

The fact that HTC one is still on 4.1 is troubling. Samsung s4 seems too noisy with its ui, but its at least at 4.2 already and Samsung might be better at getting updates. And the moto x is basically stock android and might get the updates faster because of that, but I feel like its maybe not worth the same 600 dollars that the HTC ONE and S4 are.

What do you guys think?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What do you think is the best carrier android phone for att? I might not have a choice but to get a android phone in store from att with their next program. But I'm not sure which phone out of the moto x, HTC one, or s4 is best considering I'm going to have to be going through my carrier (ATT)

The fact that HTC one is still on 4.1 is troubling. Samsung s4 seems too noisy with its ui, but its at least at 4.2 already and Samsung might be better at getting updates. And the moto x is basically stock android and might get the updates faster because of that, but I feel like its maybe not worth the same 600 dollars that the HTC ONE and S4 are.

What do you guys think?

What do you want the device to do? What is your use case? I cannot answer that, as I'm sure it's different than mine. I am a 30 year old father, and the One's camera functions are awesome for taking family pictures. The highlights make it really easy to share. I also listen to tons of podcasts, so the nice loud clear speakers are also amazing for me. You need to answer the first two questions in order to arrive at your answer.
Here's my advice: Make a list of things you want your phone to do for you. Write the important ones in one color and the stuff that would be nice in another. Go down the feature list for each phone you're considering. If one of them hits all the points you have a winner. If not, you'll easily see the best option.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What do you want the device to do? What is your use case? I cannot answer that, as I'm sure it's different than mine. I am a 30 year old father, and the One's camera functions are awesome for taking family pictures. The highlights make it really easy to share. I also listen to tons of podcasts, so the nice loud clear speakers are also amazing for me. You need to answer the first two questions in order to arrive at your answer.
Here's my advice: Make a list of things you want your phone to do for you. Write the important ones in one color and the stuff that would be nice in another. Go down the feature list for each phone you're considering. If one of them hits all the points you have a winner. If not, you'll easily see the best option.

The important things to me are battery life, getting support for my device, lag free performance ( or atleast mostly lag free, obviously completely lag free 100 percent is pretty impossible), something close to how stock android feels (or atleast not bloated and effects performance.) , and isn't going to be bogged down with stuff I'll never use. (All though I'm sure I can disable and find work around) also, I want a stable experience. :) and a phone that I feel can hold up during my two years of using it.

My phone is mostly for music, podcasts, video consumption, light gaming, and internet consumption.

What would be nice is if the phone has a good (or even great) camera. I'm thinking of starting to take more photos with my phone. Also, good build quality would be nice as well. Also, I'd like a good screen if I could. This almost was put in my must haves.

Honestly, I was going to go with the Google edition HTC ONE, but I can't drop 650 bucks on a phone all together. But I might have to if the sense 5 version isn't going to be as good or its going to compromise my needs and usage of a smartphone . and it might be better to eat the extra cost with the Google play edition to avoid potential issues down the line

Last edited:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The s4s battery and that it's removable is something that does interest me. I think the plastic of the s4 might even be better for me as far as holding up better over time and repairability. And if I start taking more photos, SD card slot could be good.

What can I put on the SD card, though?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The s4s battery and that it's removable is something that does interest me. I think the plastic of the s4 might even be better for me as far as holding up better over time and repairability. And if I start taking more photos, SD card slot could be good.

What can I put on the SD card, though?

Just media. Your use is sort of similar to mine. It's still a tough decision. If you go with the Sense 5 version of the One, don't forget MoDaCo Switch is around for it. It's at beta 13 now (I'm using it). You can use GPe or Sense, depending on what you need at the time.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just media. Your use is sort of similar to mine. It's still a tough decision. If you go with the Sense 5 version of the One, don't forget MoDaCo Switch is around for it. It's at beta 13 now (I'm using it). You can use GPe or Sense, depending on what you need at the time.

Its just im really apprehensive about rooting and flashing because I KNOW I'm going to brick my phone somehow doing it, ha ha. I'd be constantly worried about stability if I did t type of stuff. But maybe my fear is unfounded.

One thing I don't know how I feel about is touchwiz. I've heard so many complaints of lag and etc, but apparently that lag has been fixed? I'd be worried that touchwiz would bog the phone down, you know? Also, not crazy about only having 9gbs available, but maybe SD card can make up for that. But as far as I know I can't cache Google music playlists to the SD cards

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Sense 5 over Touchwiz. That's me. I didn't even mind using Sense 5 as my launcher TBH. I do prefer Action Launcher though, so I use that.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I prefer Sense 5 over Touchwiz. That's me. I didn't even mind using Sense 5 as my launcher TBH. I do prefer Action Launcher though, so I use that.

I like the s4s battery and the fact that because it's so popular it'll be easy to get support and accessories. But I don't know if that should trump software. But with popularity, I know the s4 should continue to get support and updates, you know? I also don't even know if I hate touch wiz. Might just need getting used to.

I hate the paralysis of choice, lol

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I know you always denigrate the Moto X because of its dual core processor and 720p screen, but I honestly think you will be happier with it in the long run than your other two options.

You are just fooling yourself if you think the Galaxy S4 or possibly even the HTC One are more "Future Proof". How can you expect a phone that struggles to handle current software and has had well documented lag/stutters to handle future more strenuous software than a phone that handles every current software you throw at it with no issue. The Quad Core processor really don't work for the phones because the manufacturers have to throttle the processor when all four cores are running due to thermal constraints and power management.

The only phones that are more Future Proof and can be considered to knock the Moto X, S4, and One from high end status are the upcoming Xperia Z1, G2, and Note 3 but that's just because the Krait 400 and Adreno 330 are even much more efficient than the hardware in the current phones.

In all the criteria you listed the X does beat the other phones. It is not a complete miracle when it comes to battery life but the vast majority of users are finding it routinely getting much more battery usage than the S4 and One even with a battery 15% smaller than the S4.

The X has a great screen, and the very negligible visual improvement with 1080p is completely negated by the strain it puts on even the Snapdragon 600s.

This phone has extremely good build quality, with only the One besting it slightly, but the One forces you to sacrifice many ergonomic issues due to the size and horrible button placement/design. Another worry with the One is that the speaker plates are just glued on so any sort of impact can easily knock them off where they cannot be put back on.

Yes, the camera on the X is the most unreliable, but updates are on the way and I'd like to remind everyone that the One had very bad pictures when it was released only being fixed after some updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX