Best Modern Small Screen Android

crazy4bmws

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been a purchaser of small screen android phones my entire life. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha and while it can be glitchy, a little slow, and is capped at 32 GB, it has the largest screen I feel comfortable with using one hand (4.7") and has a removable battery. The iPhone SE comes in a reasonable size (4") with 128 GB of internal memory for $374. I would consider jumping ship to Apple just to have a high performance updated phone, but I feel a little married to the apps I use, love the concept of the swype keyboard, and am hesitant on the sealed battery concept. Especially when being burned by my last sealed battery phone (HTC One Mini). I paid about $450 and got two years out of it.

I also need to expand my storage capacity because work does not allow streaming on their WiFi. So I can purchase a ipod classic 80gb for 50-60 dollars or invest that money in a new phone.

I know I can't have everything and there is no such thing as a recently updated, small screen, fast Android phone with a removable battery. What should I be prioritizing?

frankras

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
How about Sony Xperia XZ1 compact 4.7 inch and a power house and room for sdcard and then your good to go? Or the new XZ2 compact all depending how mouth you want to spend.

Frank

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have been a purchaser of small screen android phones my entire life. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha and while it can be glitchy, a little slow, and is capped at 32 GB, it has the largest screen I feel comfortable with using one hand (4.7") and has a removable battery. The iPhone SE comes in a reasonable size (4") with 128 GB of internal memory for $374. I would consider jumping ship to Apple just to have a high performance updated phone, but I feel a little married to the apps I use, love the concept of the swype keyboard, and am hesitant on the sealed battery concept. Especially when being burned by my last sealed battery phone (HTC One Mini). I paid about $450 and got two years out of it.

I also need to expand my storage capacity because work does not allow streaming on their WiFi. So I can purchase a ipod classic 80gb for 50-60 dollars or invest that money in a new phone.

I know I can't have everything and there is no such thing as a recently updated, small screen, fast Android phone with a removable battery. What should I be prioritizing?
Generally the life of a battery in a phone is about 2 years, this also depends on how you charge it and at which percentage you charge it from. Heat is also another big factor that can greatly shorten a batteries life.

For smaller profile phone, take a serious look at the new Sony Xperia XZ2 compact. I am considering getting this phone when it launches due to the smaller size of the device and it's nice spec sheet!

https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz2-compact/specifications/

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree that the compact Sony Xperia would be a good choice. I'm assuming the 5" Pixel 2 is too large? I too love smaller phones!

crazy4bmws

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yup, long time lurker, first time poster. I have looked into the Xperia series phones before, not the XZ2 specifically, but I guess I'm not accustomed to spending $500 every two years for a new phone. Although, I have had 4 phones in 8 years but I've probably spent about $200 on average. Even that number seems excessive to me. For comparison I had to buy a workstation for school work 8 years ago and I'm still using it. I'll have to look into battery replacement options if I go that route. Or I can just sell them on ebay for parts to recoup the price. I just hate buying into the disposable electronics mindset.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Yup, long time lurker, first time poster. I have looked into the Xperia series phones before, not the XZ2 specifically, but I guess I'm not accustomed to spending $500 every two years for a new phone. Although, I have had 4 phones in 8 years but I've probably spent about $200 on average. Even that number seems excessive to me. For comparison I had to buy a workstation for school work 8 years ago and I'm still using it. I'll have to look into battery replacement options if I go that route. Or I can just sell them on ebay for parts to recoup the price. I just hate buying into the disposable electronics mindset.
Have you ever looked into ifixit.com

They are all about repairing devices and provide you with the tools and guides to do it. I used ifixit to replace the hard drive in my Mac mini, cheapest I could fine was 500 to get a decent size SSD and have it installed. I found a 500gb SSD and found a open box ifixit tool kit for under 200 bucks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I would say stop looking at screen size as a parameter for 'comfortable size'. The S8 for example has a bigger screen than a Note 3 yet much smaller body.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would say stop looking at screen size as a parameter for 'comfortable size'. The S8 for example has a bigger screen than a Note 3 yet much smaller body.

You absolutely have a point. As someone who loves smaller phones, I've never held a phone more comfortable than the LG G6; which is 5.7". Phone manufacturers are getting really good at making use of every possible inch of the phone to make the "hand holding" experience even easier.

That being said, however, phones like the Note 8 will always be way too big for me!

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain. I had an Xperia Compact and it did not do well for call quality and especially VoIP calling which is my main way to communicate. I did like it's size but I decided to upgrade to a Pixel 1 and I love it and will probably stay w/ Pixels. No bloatware, VoIP is superb, and still zippy phone even w/ the 3rd gen about to come out.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. I had an Xperia Compact and it did not do well for call quality and especially VoIP calling which is my main way to communicate. I did like it's size but I decided to upgrade to a Pixel 1 and I love it and will probably stay w/ Pixels. No bloatware, VoIP is superb, and still zippy phone even w/ the 3rd gen about to come out.

Very glad you are enjoying your Pixel!