Best unsubsidized option?

gheedsgreed

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
My gf has a grandfathered unlimited plan on Verizon so she doesn't want to upgrade and lose it. What are the best options in unsubsidized phones for Verizon now and in the upcoming months? I'm looking at GS4 but it's a little pricey. Is the Motorola X going to be available off contract for Verizon?

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My gf has a grandfathered unlimited plan on Verizon so she doesn't want to upgrade and lose it. What are the best options in unsubsidized phones for Verizon now and in the upcoming months? I'm looking at GS4 but it's a little pricey. Is the Motorola X going to be available off contract for Verizon?

Posted via Android Central App

If your gf has one line in her plan without unlimited data, then she could transfer the upgrade to that line. Alternatively, if she has a family plan, she can also add a line, pay $10 plus taxes and fees for 2 years. Depending on your taxes and fees, the etf method could be cheaper

Otherwise, all phones are offered at the no contract full retail price, which is typically $600-$700 for high end phones.

The other option to save some money would be to use the etf method. To get the lowest price wait for a sale, start a new line of service, buy the phone and cancel that line, paying etf. Keep in mind some third party will charge a secondary etf, so don't buy from them. I know that Verizon, best buy, and Costco do not.

So for example, the note 2 was $50 on contract in February from best buy after gc, pay etf of $350 and one days service for about $405 total off contract

Best buy also had the dna for $50 money maker about 2 months ago, so you would pay -$50 + $350 + 5 or about $305 total off contract.

If you want to buy straight from Verizon, the dna was free as well, so you would be paying $355.

Obviously none of these are current deals, so you gotta wait for a good deal, if you want to save money.

Of course, this deal works best when combined with the phone on sale.

Of course there is always the used option
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You could do the payment plan from them too. Where you put a down pymnt and eleven equal pays over one year.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You could do the payment plan from them too. Where you put a down pymnt and eleven equal pays over one year.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

But then you would have to pay a monthly service fee.

If you were to do that, better off financing through best buy, 18 mo 0% interest, and 5% bb rewards. But the methods I mentioned above can be substantially cheaper

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no monthly service fee with Edge.

Verizon Edge - Verizon Early Upgrade Plan

Edge has no fee. The payment plan does.

Edge won't work for the op since the op has unlimited data, meaning a legacy individual or family share or perhaps an even older plan. Edge is only allowed on share everything. But if the op switches to share everything, unlimited data is lost, which is precisely what the op is trying to avoid

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The service fee is 2 bucks. Well worth keeping unlimited for 24 dollars total. And your bill is 35 more for eleven months...new phone and unlimited.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The service fee is 2 bucks. Well worth keeping unlimited for 24 dollars total. And your bill is 35 more for eleven months...new phone and unlimited.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

But with best buy, 0% interest for 18 mo(can pay it off early if so desired) and 5% rewards. Best buy is $24 cheaper, and you get about $30 in best buy rewards, and gives you a longer finance term.

If Best Buy didn't have that promo, then the device payment plan isn't bad.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Edge has no fee. The payment plan does.

Edge won't work for the op since the op has unlimited data, meaning a legacy individual or family share or perhaps an even older plan. Edge is only allowed on share everything. But if the op switches to share everything, unlimited data is lost, which is precisely what the op is trying to avoid

For some reason, I thought they skipped that payment plan and went with Edge. Didn't know they had both programs active. My bad.

Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal