Best way to buy off contract Gnex in Canada?

prcntg

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The carriers want $600 or more off contract but I can get it for about $425 from a reseller. Both prices exclude taxes and shipping. The manufacturer's warranty is void from the reseller though so past the reseller's 14 day return policy I would be on my own.

Anyone aware of a better Canadian option? Google may extend their Devices tab in the Play Store to Canada at IO but it may be the fall or never.

idarwin

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Plan A - get it from FactoryDirect.ca, when they have them in stock. Theirs are "refurbished", and come in at C$399 (90 day warranty, can extend it for a fee). I used Plan A, but I went into the store, not by mail, so I could see that I wasn't getting one with the minor screen discoloration issues that a few users have reported.

Plan B: buy it from Google Play store, using a web proxy in the US so you can see the order pages, and, have it shipped to a US address and re-shipped.

There are several companies (e.g., reship.com) that will receive parcels for you and re-ship them to Canada. They charge a flat $5 + postage or courier. I've used reship.com for a few lower-cost items and had no trouble getting stuff through the mail.

When you sign up, they give you a U.S. mailing address, which is the #2 thing you need for buying your GNex direct from the Big G.

This way you have some warranty, although it is a bit roundabout (you'd have to ship it to them in the US). But you get a new phone direct from Google.

Good luck, whichever way you go. You'll like the phone, or at least, most of us have.

Reactions: prcntg

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Plan B will only work if you have a billing address that also is in the USA. If not, as soon as you change the billing address to Canada (from USA) it will immediately say the device isn't available in your area (even if the shipping address is set to USA). I ended up buying mine on contract (long story short, was going to have to send my HTC phone back for repair for a third time in a month but had enough and complained). I'm sure if you walked into Best Buy or Future shop and told them you wanted to buy one they would sell to you - albeit for around $600.

prcntg

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Got my Gnex back in June from another retailer. An EGGcellent experience! Longer return and warranty periods (though still short). Flashed it to TAKJU and am now rocking Jellybean. No regrets, especially since Google is now selling hardware in Canuckistan but not the Gnex. $485 including taxes and shipping.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma