Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but this is the first year in a long time where I had absolutely no desire or need to look for any deals on anything for BF/CB. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or just don't need anything else. Probably in the last 6 months, I have really lost the desire entirely to spend money on little things here and there. $10 here or $10 there. Maybe it's because I'm getting tired of every app and service trying to sell me something and all the marketing that goes into that. Like even people who I've bought things from before running sales on their websites for 20-25% off I'm not at all appealed by because it just basically pays for the shipping on the item. I'm more selective in what I spend my money on from these online stores and websites.

I think I as well as many others got into bad spending habits during the pandemic, especially if you received government assistance or handouts like I did. I'm not saying I don't still buy things that I need or want, but I'm more conscientious in my spending habits.

I found myself in the past few days not even opening any of the emails I received from these businesses advertising sales. These companies know what they are doing and are still making a killing when they offer these sales. They advertise it being on sale from their list price or from their highest average price that they have ever sold it for. But the marketing has grown stale and disingenuous and rarely do I find myself being drawn in to their marketing and advertising to the point of making a purchase.

I think a lot of it is useless crap that I don't need. It just clutters my desk or house or space.

I do want to say I appreciate hard working individuals looking for and making products for people that have a specific need. I do enjoy supporting small businesses. But I am less and less attracted to buying just anything from a big business that claims to be running a sale on something I don't need. But small businesses that are constantly creating new things to help grow their business are the ones I generally like to support. At some point though, they eventually get so big that they begin to raise their prices because the demand is higher and they have a lot of overhead to cover for. Usually it's to pay for the labor and staffing. Or it's to pay for more efficient building processes and tools. But there usually comes a time where their pricing becomes too high for me and I have to start looking for cheaper options for the same product. There are some businesses that I still buy from year after year because they don't raise their prices but they just continue to create and invent new products. A lot of them are woodworkers and diyers with cnc machines or lasers in their home shops.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't bother looking at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy or any of the other Black Friday/Cyber Monday emails either. I don't have anything I need since I already upgraded my PC and rebuilt it. My phone and tablet are still running great, so I'm just going to wait for now. I spent Black Friday at the grocery store.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The sales weren't really anything special, in fact a lot of them were the same sales prices I've already seen recently. Target got busted for playing with their pricing on some items to make it look like it was BF pricing when it wasn't lol. As if nobody was going to notice 🤔

And I'm sure they weren't alone 😄

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29