Blackberry convert -

NicolePSU

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
So I was a bberry addict for quite awhile and I'm getting used to things on the droid - must say I LOVE it.

I am trying to figure out a few things:

Is there a feature similar to the one on bberry where you can set the volume to 'phone only'? I don't have a landline so I want to be able to receive calls in case of an emergency when I am sleeping but I don't want to hear text messages. Can you add a custom volume setting instead of having to tweak the two every night?

Am I able to disable the unlock function? I find it a bit superfluous as once my droid goes into sleep mode, I cant utilize the screen so to me its almost like having 2 deadbolts on my screen

How do I do custom ringtones? On the bberry I used roxio - is there a program that Motorola supports?
Piggybacking that - I have some ringtones that I had saved and I was able to import them onto my droid but I could only get it to use one as a default ringtone - can I use different ones for different contacts? I went into edit on a contact to see if I could attach it that way but I didn't see how I could.

Am I able to use a ringtone/song as an alarm? As much as I love the rooster....it scares the crap out of me at 5:30 am - id much rather wake up to kings of leon.

I know this is alot but I am hoping someone (or a few someones) can help me.

Thanks in advance!!!!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
welcome to smartphone heaven...

There's a LOT of ex-bb folks here.

Check out the FAQ sticky in the moto Droid forum -- it answers most of your questions. You're gonna love this device (and this forum)

NicolePSU

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!
So far its great.
I am familiar with the layout of the site since I went to the crackberry site pretty frequently.
I am still going through the FAQ - thanks again.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
You'll find you love Android equally if not way more than BB. I am a post BB user myself.

As for all your immediate desires to turn your Droid into a BB, just relax and really experience the Android system for a little bit. these little quarks that you mentioned may seem annoying now, but are something that you wont even notice in a weeks time.

But if you are dead set on making changes now, the Android Market has just about everything the BB App World had and then some. Plus it is growing faster than any other Platform. So we'll have everything soon enough.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know I said "check out the FAQ sticky" but, I couldn't resist...

Is there a feature similar to the one on bberry where you can set the volume to 'phone only'? I don't have a landline so I want to be able to receive calls in case of an emergency when I am sleeping but I don't want to hear text messages. Can you add a custom volume setting instead of having to tweak the two every night?

yes, however I think you need a third party app called "profiles" (free in market) to do it easily.

Am I able to disable the unlock function? I find it a bit superfluous as once my droid goes into sleep mode, I cant utilize the screen so to me its almost like having 2 deadbolts on my screen

Yes, lock can be disabled. There is an app in market that does this. However, I had horrible luck with it. It just seemed to never work right. I use an app (free) called Mylock. google "mylock android"-- you'll have to downolad to your PC and then install via zip file and USB (not that hard). If you do choose to use the Mylock, you'll need to first enable your phone to accept apps other than "market" apps. go to settings / applications / and check "unknown"sources"

How do I do custom ringtones? On the bberry I used roxio - is there a program that Motorola supports?

check out "ringdroid" free app in market

I have some ringtones that I had saved and I was able to import them onto my droid but I could only get it to use one as a default ringtone - can I use different ones for different contacts? I went into edit on a contact to see if I could attach it that way but I didn't see how I could.

open the contact / menu button / options -- see it? for some inexplicable reason, it's NOT under the "edit contact" area.

there's also an app (in market, free) called "Missed call" -- allows customizing LED light per contact.

Am I able to use a ringtone/song as an alarm? As much as I love the rooster....it scares the crap out of me at 5:30 am - id much rather wake up to kings of leon.

plug into PC / notification bar pull down / mount USB / open drive on PC create a subfolder in Media called audio then subfolders in audio called "ringtones" "notifications" and "alarms" -- copy all of your ringtones into all 3 folders -- duplicates are fine and you DO have 16Gb of space.

Thanks in advance!!!!
always obliging to a polite person

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
New Android owners never sleep the first few nights... Why? because there's an app (free, in market) to simulate sleep patterns. You download the app and then just hold the droid next to your head for 2 minutes to get the benefits of 3 hours of sleep. -- very handy for traveling.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I moved from BB also and loved the change. You can do pretty much everything regarding notifications by putting the music file in a folder on the sd card. For ringtones put it in a new folder for ringtones, notifications...notifications... alarm... alarms, you get the idea. You can also do the same thing from the music player if you long press on the song I believe. I was able to get a slayer song as my alarm, megadeth for ringtone and I use a different tone for notifications.
Welcome to android central, Ive found the people here and atmosphere to be much nicer than CB... you wont get flamed for complaints or problems here... or blamed for causing them yourself.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I "moved" from BB to the DROID, well I still have my BB just using both now :) must say that the Android platform is killer, and has a lot of great potential. It has been quite a learning curve to learn how to do everything.

Love this forum as well as the CB forums. always a great place to get tons of help!

CPatt44

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I too, am a BB convert. Went from Tour to Droid and never looked back. The only thing that took getting used to with the Droid was the keyboards. After a couple weeks, everything is fine.

NicolePSU

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help!
Its not that i want to make my droid a bberry but there were some things that i liked about the bberry that were important to me. I knew the droid was super-duper enough to do it - just had to figure out how!!

I just got the docking station today - i am excited to set that up next to my bed :)

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The app Quick Profiles, free in the Marketplace, will let you set BB-like profiles. I have profiles like Normal, Night, and Quiet setup. My Night profile is setup exactly like you describe, only the phone will ring, all other notifiers are silenced.

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
For the custom ringer thing:
If you create a folder on the top of your sd card called "media" then create a folder in there called "ringtone" then put every ringtone you want in there you should be able to set it with no extra programs. If you want a custom ringtone per person go to that contact hit menu then options then it should be obvious from there.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
as long as its in a folder called ringtones itll show up, I have mine on the root of the sd card.

I love the dock, my ihome turns on and off with my new tv remote so I cant use it anymore and the droid makes a great alarm and media station.

NicolePSU

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I like the docking station - only thing that sucks is I have to pop my case off every night in order for it to slide in. My case is only for the back of the phone and its really thin but it just wont go in if its on - grrrrrr.
I'm glad the 'night' mode is dark enough - aim a light sleeper and I was afraid it would be too bright. I am going to start watching some shows off of one of the TV apps that I downloaded and see how that works out - definitely cool that I can even do that.
I heart my droid!!!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

dcarlton35

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
There is also this forum that has had some great reviews for case and dock that work together as well and looks good. They are both made by Seidio called Innocase. Also look into them as well for case and dock, along with car dock(if not already available, will be soon) that fits so no need to remove case to put in dock.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid/6059-seidio-innocase-review-pics.html

Prometheus is right about the folders on the SD Card as those he mentioned are the best setup I have seen on a few different forums as well. There are several apps in market that are good. One you might like for setting tones as well, and this is your choice of course, is called Locale. It is location-based which means it knows where you are and will set your phone settings to where you are. For example, if you are at work and want it silenced, set it in Locale and it will automatically go to that setting and silence. Then when you leave, it will return to normal. Not sure if it works for time as I haven't explored it in depth but I have heard some good things about it and is useful. I have a nice loooong list of apps that are good and FREE. Just do the research and if you want to look through the market but want to see it on a bigger screen, the website available for the market, in case no one else knew, is AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc... . Anyway, good luck and you will continue to love it!

dcarlton35

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
New Android owners never sleep the first few nights... Why? because there's an app (free, in market) to simulate sleep patterns. You download the app and then just hold the droid next to your head for 2 minutes to get the benefits of 3 hours of sleep. -- very handy for traveling.

Prometheus,

That was hilarious!! For a moment, I thought you were serious! :D Thanks for the laugh, I kinda needed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds