Blackberry User, need some advice.

dysfunction5100

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you guys on this board hear this one all the time, and I've learned a little from reading previous threads.

I'm a Storm1 owner and, frankly, I'm sick to death of the BlackberryOS. It really is awful, with 3 or 4 resets a day needed just to use my phone :mad:

Anyway, I've played with th Eris some, and I like it a lot. It's fast, easy to use, and seems to have a lot of depth to the capabilities.

My concern is with the e-mail capabilities. I use my phone for personal and business reasons. I have three e-mail addresses. Two are google based, so no problem there. However, my third is my business e-mail, which is web based through squirrelmail/roundcube. Will I have trouble setting it up on the Eris?

The e-mail system is the only reason I could potentially end up staying with Blackberry.

Thanks for any help, Android people :D

korben dallas#AC

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I was a storm owner too and now I use the Eris. The email isn't as good as the bb phones but the speed of the internet blows the storm out of the water. I miss the simplicity of the email on my blackberry verses the the Eris.

mpaquette

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at Touchdown email. I use it to connect to my work email which is Exchange. I'm a former BES BlackBerry user and I don't feel like I've lost anything regarding my work email by switching to Android.

gobluejd

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at Touchdown email. I use it to connect to my work email which is Exchange. I'm a former BES BlackBerry user and I don't feel like I've lost anything regarding my work email by switching to Android.

I currently run our BES at my company for 5 BB users (some 8830's, 8330 and a few Tours).

Our BES is about 4+ Years old and I need to upgrade @ a cost of about $2000, just for the BES. A few of the phones I can upgrade (VZW). So I am trying to decide if I should go to Android OS phones.

Here is my question to you:

Do you have to get the Corporate Rate for the Data Package?

I see you say there are no differences with using Touchdown vs BES. Is that really true? Is there anything that you miss?

Do emails still come instantly? (actually all changes calendar, tasks, notes etc)

Do you have to have Outlook open on a PC for TD to work? Or does everything sync OTA thru exchange?

The only benefit to me is the BES can automatically sync everything to the BB OTA if a user gets a new one. I.E. less headache for me. We run pretty wide open with no restrictions and I have yet to have to remote wipe a device.

I just need to propose this to my boss, which not spending $$$$ on an upgrade to BES, is obviously in my favor.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,

Jeff

mpaquette

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
1. Do not need the corporate rate for the data package. I switched from the $44.95 BES data package to the $29.95 whateveritscalled data package when I got my Eris.

2. It's basically the same from an end user stand point. From an administrators standpoint, Activesync does not have anywhere near the amount of control and policies that BES has.

3. Yes, email shows up instantly.

4. No, you don't need Outlook open anywhere.

If you aren't doing a lot of policy/locking down via your BES, then Activesync will work for you. You can try Touchdown email free for 3 days (I think, maybe it's 5) so check it out and see what you think.

gobluejd

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
1. Do not need the corporate rate for the data package. I switched from the $44.95 BES data package to the $29.95 whateveritscalled data package when I got my Eris.

2. It's basically the same from an end user stand point. From an administrators standpoint, Activesync does not have anywhere near the amount of control and policies that BES has.

3. Yes, email shows up instantly.

4. No, you don't need Outlook open anywhere.

If you aren't doing a lot of policy/locking down via your BES, then Activesync will work for you. You can try Touchdown email free for 3 days (I think, maybe it's 5) so check it out and see what you think.

Thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated! Once Nexus comes out I am going to test for a few weeks. I have contacted Touchdown and he also said what you said.

lcargile

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
In simple...yes get the Eris. I too had the storm one. I used that thing way back when it was still running the crap software and I was one of those unlucky few that had to wait for so STANKIN LONG on the 5.0 software to finally come to Verizon. I hung with it though through the good and the bad. Basically the Eris is great. There are a few things that I wish it had that my BB had, but overall it is a MUCH BETTER USER EXPERIENCE. And as far as your email...Ok so i have several like you. 3 total. 2 personal. 1 business that runs on exchange servers. I had a pretty hard time getting it set up in all honesty. I ended up having to take it to my IT guys for about half an hour but when it was done I almost peed myself. Its a great phone and does pretty much everything you could hope for. And something that I have found is that if the stock phone doesnt do what you want, then more than likely there is an app (most of the time a free one) on the Android Market that will take care of it for you. So, should you go from Storm1 to Eris. Well if you havent already then yes is the answer your looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084