bluetooth kills battery?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
All - this might be my original Droid Incredible dying a slow death, but... bluetooth kills my battery like nobody's business. Does anyone have any stats on Bionic battery life using bluetooth? I'm talking maybe an hour max at a time.

Patiently awaiting my bionic, as soon as VZW figures out how to process the order I placed last night...

Thanks in advance.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
With my old Droid, I usually kept Bluetooth on all day without a problem...it seemed not to affect battery life unless it was actually connected.

But yesterday, I noticed Bluetooth was responsible for 23% of my battery use...so for now I will turn bluetooth completely off until I enter my car.

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
With my old Droid, I usually kept Bluetooth on all day without a problem...it seemed not to affect battery life unless it was actually connected.

But yesterday, I noticed Bluetooth was responsible for 23% of my battery use...so for now I will turn bluetooth completely off until I enter my car.

Apex, i have had the exact same experience as you.

The bluetooth and wireless radios on the Bionic eat through the battery even when not 'in use' (on, but not actively pushing/pulling data)

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm with you, that's what I do now... but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a phone like this? Mine drains the life out of my battery like a hungry vampire after connecting to my bluetooth car handset. Most of the time, the bt handset is in standby.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really noticed a big drop in battery during my commute to an from work, which is only a half hour each way. Rarely do I talk on the phone during that time. But my suggestion to you is if you're in the car for a while, just keep your phone plugged in to offset the battery use of your bluetooth.

In keeping with the smartphone way of life, charging habits change with every device. I will say though it's possible this could be a bug in the OS. Never had a phone that drained that much battery just having bluetooth enabled.

thall

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow I just realized that bluetooth was one of my big battery suckers! Kinda miss the OG Droid - left bluetooth and gps always on; never really had any battery problems...

I want to love this phone so much, but I making a lot more compromises than I imagined.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes this phone has a few issues, but I'm sure they will be fixed. (it's not even been a week yet).

I was ready to throw my old Droid at the wall...it was getting extremely slow for me.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ugh. Talked to a VZW tech support rep last night while activating my Bionic and she said bluetooth taxes the battery if left on, as it is constantly searching for a bluetooth signal to pair with. Seems pretty lame to me.

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed BT draining the battery even when not in use as well, very disappointing, as my old mind never remembers to turn it on when I get in the car. I shouldn't have to worry about it, but noticed, it's hitting using about 25% of the battery when on, even if not connected. Seems to be an obvious bug of some sort, and with all the concern over battery life, one you think Moto/Verizon would have caught during the 9 months of redesign and testing. ;)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Same boat i used to leave it on nothing connected and it was still being used. Now I leave it off

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
ugh. Talked to a VZW tech support rep last night while activating my Bionic and she said bluetooth taxes the battery if left on, as it is constantly searching for a bluetooth signal to pair with. Seems pretty lame to me.

She lies. I came from a ThunderBolt and I could leave BT on all day and not get any noticeable drain. But the Bionic BT sucks the life out of my battery.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called Setting Profiles (or Setting Profiles Lite - Free), which lets you set up a rule that turns on BT automatically when the Bionic is paced in the car dock. This solved the BT battery issue for me, and hopefully it will help you too.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There is obviously something wrong with way the Bionic manages resources. Other phones don't have this type of drain when bluetooth is enabled but not used. This leads me to believe that a software revision should be able to correct it. Once motorola gets the battery issues under control, this phone will live up to its full potential.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rduckwor

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Blue Tooth uses about 33% of my battery usage when I leave it on and paired with my headset all day. I use a headset, not because of radiation fears, but because I'm too lazy to hold the phone up to my ear.

Do a factory data reset if you are having battery issues. PITA restoring apps and screens, but my Bionic battery life improved dramatically after I did one.

10 Hours today with minimal - moderate usage and 70+% battery left so far.

RMD

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
There is obviously something wrong with way the Bionic manages resources. Other phones don't have this type of drain when bluetooth is enabled but not used. This leads me to believe that a software revision should be able to correct it. Once motorola gets the battery issues under control, this phone will live up to its full potential.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It's not just the Bionic. This happened with my Incredible as well, which is why I started this thread - curious if it was an HTC issue, Android issue, and/or if it was replicated on the Bionic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys82