Bootloop threat am I mad to buy this phone?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I have been offered a mint LG G4 it was bought new in the UK at the end of January 2016 so it is almost one year old, the owner bought it to replace his note 3 that he thought was on its last legs but his note is still working well so he has ended up not using the phone more than a handful of times I can get it for what I think seems a great price and that is £155 Stirling I am aware of the bootloop situation and from what I have read it has affected a lot of phones but I am thinking why not take a chance as at that price if it goes after a year then at lest it hasn't cost me multiple hundreds of pounds, the serial begins with 511 so what do you reckon :)

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
As we say here in the US:
"It's a crap shoot" meaning:
Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

How long would you expect to keep the G4?
I like my G4 a lot and never had the BL (serial 510 model US991)

Sadly I don't trust it.
Mine will be on Swappa soon.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
As we say here in the US:
"It's a crap shoot" meaning:
Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

How long would you expect to keep the G4?
I like my G4 a lot and never had the BL (serial 510 model US991)

Sadly I don't trust it.
Mine will be on Swappa soon.

I know it is a gamble the thing is I just can't find anything that I want in the price range I have budgeted as we are having a kitchen extension done in April so I just want something with a good screen etc but not expensive, I have been offered a near mint galaxy S6 Edge for £230 I didn't want to go over £200 but £230 is as low as he will go and I am tempted but I like a bigger screen and will I struggle with the 5.1" S6 screen hmmmm plus the battery is only 2600mah and I am just thinking battery life would be a bit iffy!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I know it is a gamble the thing is I just can't find anything that I want in the price range

I can understand this completely.

Goes without saying if you will depending on the LG for daily service I would advise a ready to go back-up device at the minimum.
Good luck there...I know it's tough to shop and get exactly what you want.

I'm putting myself thru the same thing here looking for that "just right" second phone.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I can understand this completely.

Goes without saying if you will depending on the LG for daily service I would advise a ready to go back-up device at the minimum.
Good luck there...I know it's tough to shop and get exactly what you want.

I'm putting myself thru the same thing here looking for that "just right" second phone.

I don't want the hassle of getting a back up phone so maybe I should look at something else but what I have no idea :)

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd avoid the LG G4 unless you have a backup phone you don't mind using. Have you looked at the Moto G (4th gen).

I have but it doesn't get great reviews with dodgy build quality and Lenovo lack of support being problems and in one online reviews the guy didn't rate the 4th gens at all but of course it's just his opinion.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Let's put it this way. The LG G4 is both the best and worst phone I've ever owned. Best in terms of features, worst in terms of reliability. I am on my 3rd handset and so far so good, but I would personally never buy another LG product again as I feel they don't last. The last LG TV I bought was the same. They make good products, but they are not built to last.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's put it this way. The LG G4 is both the best and worst phone I've ever owned. Best in terms of features, worst in terms of reliability. I am on my 3rd handset and so far so good, but I would personally never buy another LG product again as I feel they don't last. The last LG TV I bought was the same. They make good products, but they are not built to last.

Thanks your comments have just helped me decide and I will give the G4 a miss.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had one bootloop after about a year. At&t replaced it, and everything has been fine for about 6 months.
I also thought about the Galaxy s7, but don't like the edge, and didnt like giving up screen size for the regular. The G4 really is a great phone. The camera is awesome, software is great, screen is gorgeous, I just can't find anything to upgrade too, that I feel would truly be an upgrade. I have an old motox that I can use as a backup if I bootloop again, so I will keep the G4 until something comes along that I feel is worth it, or the bootloop hits me again.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I had one bootloop after about a year. At&t replaced it, and everything has been fine for about 6 months.
I also thought about the Galaxy s7, but don't like the edge, and didnt like giving up screen size for the regular. The G4 really is a great phone. The camera is awesome, software is great, screen is gorgeous, I just can't find anything to upgrade too, that I feel would truly be an upgrade. I have an old motox that I can use as a backup if I bootloop again, so I will keep the G4 until something comes along that I feel is worth it, or the bootloop hits me again.
Nothing worth upgrading to? Hmmm Pixel XL??!

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The Pixel line looks great, but I'm on AT&T. I know I can get one unlocked, but really don't feel like shelling out $800 for a phone. Even my G4, I grabbed it from Best Buy on sale, and got a $200 gift card with it, which they let me put towards the phone making it only $14 a month. Also, when I do look at upgrading, I usually play with the new phone, look at my G4, and say, is it really much of an upgrade? The answer to myself always seems to be no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995