bought "brand new" droid but...

averyg93

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
the phone already has contacts on it.. but they only show up in the predictive contacts when sending a MMS message, such as when I type in "au" to send a message to my friend Austin Gonzales, it'll come up with the numbers of an Austin Stewart, Austin Brooks, all people i dont know yet all have the same area code as mine. So is it normal to get a used phone when buying a "new phone" from Verizon? And if its not a used phone what might it be as to why this happened? Thanks :)

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
wow, maybe you got a phone that somebody had for a few days or so, didn't like and then maybe took back. I might ask the store where you got it from about that. Might not be a big deal, but it could if maybe the phone messes up in the very near future.

snydahh

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I also bought my "brand new" Droid last week, and I am having a ton of problems, such as not connecting to Wifi or 3G and calls/texts not coming through. However, an interesting thing is, while I was at the store instead of going into the back to get my phone, the sales rep pulled it out from under a desk and the protective seal that comes with the phone wasn't on correctly. I've been on the phone with tech support about the issues I'm having with my phone and I have a trouble ticket open, so on Sunday I'm supposed to get a call back to see if they're replacing my phone or not. I would make sure everything is alright with your phone (i.e. connection to network, Wifi, etc) before your 30 days are up, in case you need a new Droid.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
the phone already has contacts on it.. but they only show up in the predictive contacts when sending a MMS message, such as when I type in "au" to send a message to my friend Austin Gonzales, it'll come up with the numbers of an Austin Stewart, Austin Brooks, all people i dont know yet all have the same area code as mine. So is it normal to get a used phone when buying a "new phone" from Verizon? And if its not a used phone what might it be as to why this happened? Thanks :)

Take it back and explain the situation. Then ask for a new one. :) Simple.

walhalla

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree, return it, tell them this was not a new phone, possibly a refurb, and get a brand new one. I have just come to Verizon from Sprint. I had to return my Pre for another one due to some issues with it. There is a code which can be entered and it tells you whether the phone is new or refurb. It tells you the build date and the number of hours logged on it since it was built. Don't know if something similar exists for Android or not, would be nice if it did. If something like that is known and has been posted on this web site somewhere, I apologize for not mentioning it. I haven't had time to fully explore the web site yet, have only had the Droid for 7 days now.

Mach2

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is exactly why I purchased my Droid from Verizon's online site. You're not the only one I've heard from that experienced this.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You'd think if you spend all that money on a phone, you'd get a new one. On a related note, I went to an authorized retailer with plans to purchase the droid but the rep claimed that the reason they don't honor online prices (instant rebates, etc) is because you may get a used phone by ordering online. I'm sure she was just blowing smoke and trying to get me to buy it there but I find it kind of ironic with your current situation.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I work at an authorized retailer and we don't do instant rebates just like corporate stores and every where else, except Best Buy, Walmart and online orders. But that woman PJ was blowing smoke :p

Chill def take back your phone, at my store(authorized retailer) we sometimes order said "carrier return phones" which are supposed to be ones that I'm guessing were returned within the 30-day period and VZW sells them to us as brand new but at a cheaper price. They sometimes don't work as a new phone would(programming wise you have to manually due it from time to time) but we have to sell them as new which is not right and aggravates me! So yes take it back!

averyg93

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Nope not a troll just busy last night with throwing a forty year olds his party. Haha. I just got to reading all your replies and thank you all for the advice I knew something was wasn't right about the situation I think I am just going to return it.