Broke my 5X. Fixable?

jo44jo

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Is a service manual for the Nexus 5x available?

Long story short, I was having a problem with my camera, so I whacked the phone on the palm of my hand a couple times (yeah, that might help! [lol]) and after that I lost the network and nothing I have tried has been able to bring it back. Maybe I somehow broke the network chip or connection with that whack?

I am on T-Mobile running Android 7.1.1.

I cleared the cache, tried different combo's of network settings (2G, 3G, 4G LTE), rebooted in safe mode, cleared the network settings, changed the SIM card, etc. Nothing has worked. I get Wi-fi but no T-Mobile network bars (the triangle is blank).

I've opened the back of the phone previously to replace the glass (as a glass+frame module) and battery and everything worked fine after reassembly. So I am willing to reopen the case and poke around but I don't know what to poke at.

So thinking that maybe a manual will help or else if anyone has any ideas/help they can offer, that would be super!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Maybe you broke the antenna. Google antenna in nexus etc and you should get a pic of where the antenna runs in the device.
Try google service mode secret code for it and see if anything shows up in service mode first...

anon(10156028)

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I believe all the antennas are in the backing of the case. I would try removing and reattaching the backing after inspecting it for damage and making sure all everything visible is connected securely. There are a couple of snap connectors on the case backing near the camera that need to be tight in order for the antenna connectors to make contact. There's a good disassembly video here: https://youtu.be/UHa10qbyQtk
Good luck!

jo44jo

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
What is this "secret code" thingy? How to access/interpret?

I took your advice and looked at the antenna connections. I found that a couple of them were bent (see before photos at link). I straightened them out but that did not fix the problem. GPS and network still not functioning.

Afraid I may need a new mainboard, sigh. Moral - don't smack your phone out of frustration!

Before photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3aloIK_2QNdX3ZaZGtTdWpqZjg