Broken USB port, What should i Do

AtariTech

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
My 2013 Nexus 7 was requiring pressure to charge and has now stopped charging altogether via Micro USB, this indicates that the micro USB port is broken which i have been told is not uncommon for any micro USB port. I only use the Micro USB port to charge the device,. so which would be a better option, Purchasing a wireless charger (i've seen them for around $15-20), or try to get the micro USB port fixed?

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
First of all, try different USB cables...some fit a lot tighter than others and make a much better connection. I have about 10 cables and they all fit differently. My guess is this is your problem, not the port. If it is the port, than just buy a wireless charger...they work awesome. Hope this helps...

jw300

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
When my port started playing up like this, it seemed contact was breaking unless pressure was applied to one side. I (carefully!) squeezed the outer shell just a little using a small screwdriver and it improved the connection. It's bound to slacken off again, though, so I bought a wireless charger as backup.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
First try a few other chargers and micro usb cables since I have a few that stopped working including both my 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 charger. Also, the 2013 N7 original cable is intermittent that will charge my Nexus 5 but not my 2013 Nexus 7 it came with. I can only guess the port with that cable is a tighter connection on my N5 than the N7. Still I have several other cables my N7 will charge from. If you get a new cable it is clear to me a 3 foot cables charge my N7 much faster than a 6 foot cable from my trials.

If it isn't the charger or cable the Easiest thing to do is use a wireless Qi Wireless Charger to charge your 2013 Nexus 7. I like the 3-Coil design since it has a better sweet spot when I put my 2013 N7 or N5 on it to charge.

This is a example of the 3-Coil Qi charger.
CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charger 3-Coils Wide Charging Area Wireless Charging Pad for Nexus 6,

Last edited: