Buggy-acting Optimus S now since Gbread?

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought that after all this time, Gbread would work great on the Optimus S..

Wife's phone is untouched, OTA to Gbread...and it rebooted on it's own the very same day without warning 2 or 3 times after installing the update.

As my luck would have it, I reported my Optimus lost earlier in the morning before the update went out..so I was a little miffed that I had to wait until Fedex arrived with my refurbed Asurion before I could try out the new version...

Wouldn't you know it, Even though the update went out the very day I reported my phone lost, I received my replacement with Gbread already on it??

I've had to pull battery SO many times...just random issues causing me to have problems and freezes.

I was trying to visit a website last night with the stock browser and it froze up 3 times...

I even ran the Fbook app one time, and it got stuck loading, and I had to battery pull.

I can't believe the number of times I've had to pull battery since getting Gbread..it's unreal.
Just random things cause my phone to lock up, and it won't respond to anything. VERY frustrating. And Sprint forced us to take this buggy piece of junk update..now I can hardly install an app without problems.
What's the issue with this...does anyone know why all the random freezes?

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's just because its new yet, when VC was first released nobody could turn their phone on and off because it would hang at the lg logo, but after a few weeks they released another version that fixed it for everyone. I'm expecting that something will happen with the new gb update which is why i plan on holding off on it for a little while. If your really sick of it you can always revert to VD and run reborn rom again.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After factory reset most of the "strange" issues I've had went away, like reboots, strange jumpiness, etc. It is reasonably stable now (for me). The status bar has tiny symbols though and the color scheme is muted, but that is just gingerbread.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying the factory data reset (Menu --->Privacy--->Factory Data Reset)

And seeing if that does the trick...I really hope it fixes some of the reboots I've had. I was driving down the road, phone in my pocket, and heard the LG sound of the phone when it turns on ...it had rebooted itself randomly in my pocket. Middle of the night, heard it do that too..and nobody touching it or doing anything to it.

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
its almost as if once you get the update, it runs some maintenance in the background for a day or two, during that time its buggy then when its done, its not that bad. The keyboard still has issues though (suggestion bar)

zymos

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have no 3G since the update Thursday AM. Actually- I've had 3G intermittently, but over the past 2 days went from a green 3G icon in the status bar to a white icon to no icon. Factory reset was no help.
I've spoke with several people at Credo, but about the only thing they've done for me is credit my acct. for a month of data plan charge.

I was quite happy with my phone and stock Froyo- now I think I need to root it and just go back to 2.2.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been putting off doing the rooted thing..and I probably did something not quite right..but I had my stock android, non-rooted..and my wife had her stock optimus s, stock, non-rooted too...both were untouched, virgin.

I had no idea this was coming out, and had been threatening to file a claim on my phone for quite some time -- I accidentally burned my screen with a cigarette one night, and it was annoying as he@$...

So thursday, I got up, and filed me a claim with phoneclaim.com.

Then, Thurs evening the wife brings me her Optimus and says "what's this update thing?"..

I looked at it, and immediately started to curse myself. I told her it was FINALLY the Gingerbread update we should've got back in May..and I couldn't turn on my phone since I had reported it lost and had another on the way already!!!

They sent me my new Optimus and I got it in on Friday about 12pm.
I figured, "they'll probably not have it update to Gbread"....boy was I wrong!!
Turned it on, and it was already running the 2.3.3 update!

I dealt with the above mentioned issues for 2 days, and decided to hell with it..I can't use the phone anyway, so if I brick it, I"m not out anything anyways..
The wife was having probs with her phone too, so we both have our issues with the new Gbread update.

Here's what I did yesterday...I downright decided I was going to root this thing and run a custom rom/recovery/kernel...and I am happy to report that I just finished doing the wife's optimus, which took me MUCH LESS time than I took doing my own phone, which was the first root I did.

I force-flashed back to ZVD using the KP500 thing..let that do it's job..
I then did a wipe of the data and cache..restarted phone...
back into stock ZVD..then ran the Gingersnap utility.
Rooted, copied the Xionia files to SD and followed instructions..
When phone restarted, I mounted the SD, copied the CM7 version, the Xionia kernel to the SD, and did the duty on it....installed, rebooted, installed the GAPPs too (also transfered during the mounted sdcard)...

Rebooted phone into Cm7 and just got both somewhat configured and working fine today...right now just trying to put the things back the way I like them to be arranged, but so far, I'm happy to report that this is MUCH better than what Sprint stuck me with..

I'm also seeing some posts on the official sprint forums where folks are saying "just wait and they will send more updates" and such...

DO WHAT????
Waited this long for Gingerbread, and people are saying things like "this is like when windows 7 first came out and had bugs..blah blah blah..."
My desktop isn't a cell phone, and i'm not missing calls if my desktop doesn't work. I AM missing things if my phone doesn't work...
Some people..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
driodPixel