Burning hot

TheHorsts

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
We got 3 new Sprint Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II) and at least two of them have the same problem: When they are charging, they get BURNING hot. So much so that the screen flashes a high temperature warning. (Never seen that before on any phone.)

When unplugged, they started cooling down, but one of them refuses not to boot (at least for now).

One was being charged with the charger that came with it. The other was just plugged in using a standard USB cable to a laptop.

Anyone else having this problem?

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
We got 3 new Sprint Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II) and at least two of them have the same problem: When they are charging, they get BURNING hot. So much so that the screen flashes a high temperature warning. (Never seen that before on any phone.)

When unplugged, they started cooling down, but one of them refuses not to boot (at least for now).

One was being charged with the charger that came with it. The other was just plugged in using a standard USB cable to a laptop.

Wow. That's scary. I'm glad that I don't have the problem.

Are you charging them with a case on?

Personally, I would ask for a repair/new device because it's bad news if a device starts doing that this early.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

You mean like this. Samsung smartphones have a reputation for having a finicky charging and overheating issues. This is especially true on their thin Galaxy S2 series.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
You mean like this. Samsung smartphones have a reputation for having a finicky charging and overheating issues. This is especially true on their thin Galaxy S2 series.

I have never seen this or have had the issue with any Sammy phone. I would try plugging into an outlet if not take them back it they are getting very hot something is not running right or something . I like to charge it connected to a usb port for the slow/low power charge and haven't had that happen to me.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem as wel! It happened when I first charged to phone. The plug was extremely hot too. I switched out the plug part with the one from my old Evo and haven't had the issue again. I've been keeping an eye on it though. I hope it doesn't happen again.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I have seen this in the EVO Series of phones (Quite a bit on my EVO 3D) where instead of an onscreen pop-up notification, u get a red blinking notification light. The only thing I've experienced thus far is despite not having auto brightness on, my display's backlight will dim & when u go into settings & try to change it back, u will be denied & accompanied by a message maybe not in these exact words: "the display brightness was dimmed to prevent overheating,"

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like defective units to me. I had read about some sporatic overheating issues from owners of the International Galaxy SII, but they were few and far between. I've had ZERO heat issues on mine. In fact it barely feels warm even when I'm giving the GPU a go.

I would test a few more charging cycles on different outlets and such and if it continues, go exchange them.

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this before on a Galaxy S phone. But the only time it would do this is with a heavy app running (like navigation) and connected to a car charger (maybe a cheap car charger) at the same time. Never seen that happen anytime else.

I've tested my E4GT last night connected to my car charger and running navigation and my device did not have this issue. The battery stayed somewhat cool the whole time. :cool:

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ive been using the charge that came with and an old Evo 3D charger and have had no issues.

Id swap out the phone now!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

arbearce

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed with mine, if I leave it on the charger after it has completed charging it will get very hot. During the charging mine doesn't seem to get hot though.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the opening post was just to make up a bazaar defect and we will never see him again.

If 2/3 phones overheated with a warning message when charged, there would be hundreds of threads.

If this is really happening to more than one Epic 4G Touch in one house, it is most likely low voltage in the house. As someone immediately said, try charging it at work or in the car and you will most likely see no problem.

If you have the same overheating at work, a friends, and in the car, you have the two phones made that have this problem. Return them. The odds against that are about 1 in a million squared.

If the phones do not overheat when charging at work, a Friends, or in the car, it is your home wiring. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. An old house (or new) with bad wiring could have a low voltage problem due to a partial short or incorrect wiring. It is rare but can result in a fire. A simple $20 volt meter from Radio Shack may help you see if you have a problem.

If you really do have this problem, the odds are that it is home wiring. I am an Electrical Engineer. Get it checked out now.

jweese18

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had the phone for almost a week and didn't have the problem until today. I have been charging it with the same charger and in the same outlet. Only thing different was this time I was playing a game while it was charging. All of a sudden the screen started flickering, a warning message popped up and I wasn't able to turn the phone back on for a few mins. This just happened a little bit ago, but when I finally got my phone turned back on I've had some issues. It might be unrelated, but my wifi keeps turning off every few seconds. Would that issue be related to overheating? Also, should I try another charger or get a replacement phone while I still can?
thanks for any help.:)

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the opening post was just to make up a bazaar defect and we will never see him again.

If 2/3 phones overheated with a warning message when charged, there would be hundreds of threads.

If this is really happening to more than one Epic 4G Touch in one house, it is most likely low voltage in the house. As someone immediately said, try charging it at work or in the car and you will most likely see no problem.

If you have the same overheating at work, a friends, and in the car, you have the two phones made that have this problem. Return them. The odds against that are about 1 in a million squared.

If the phones do not overheat when charging at work, a Friends, or in the car, it is your home wiring. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. An old house (or new) with bad wiring could have a low voltage problem due to a partial short or incorrect wiring. It is rare but can result in a fire. A simple $20 volt meter from Radio Shack may help you see if you have a problem.

If you really do have this problem, the odds are that it is home wiring. I am an Electrical Engineer. Get it checked out now.

Seriously ..this has nothing to do with with your wiring ..lol.. its the phone ..mine does the same thing.. this is why the phone is Google back today.. way too many issues

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine got very warm the first couple days of use.
I discharged 3 times to 5% every since then battery stays cool to lite warm during heavy use and charge.
Give it a try give battery needs time to break in.

SkyMedic

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem with my 1st one, would randomly get hot while idle too. Exchanged and they thought it might be defective power cord? New one has gotten hot, but not as hot; cool as a cucumber right now after charging for 3 hours with cord other than the one supplied.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isy315g