Buy Galaxy Nexus or something else?

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Wife is looking to upgrade her old phone. I currently have the Nexus S 4G. The problems people list with the Galaxy Nexus (heat, battery, occasional reboots, poor signal) are nearly identical to my experience with the S 4G. They're very minor rare issues that aren't really a problem for me and seem common with almost any phone lately.

I like having better updates with the Nexus, no bloatware etc. The S3 is out but more expensive and doesn't seem to have any gains that would interest me. The EVO 4g LTE is a possibility but most seem to prefer the Galaxy. Is the Galaxy a good choice?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Is the Galaxy a good choice?

In a word, yes.

No added apps/bloatware.
Pure Google.
Pure Ice Cream Sandwich.
I have had no problems with it getting hot.
Depending on how it is used, the battery is a concern. I got a bigger battery to solve that.
Mine has never re-booted on its' own.
No problem with signal or dropping calls.
Being a Nexus, updates should come to it early.

My name is Maverick and I approve of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE.

Mav. :cool:

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I think the battery and heat issues are all connected to Sprint's difficulties with their network, and once the network upgrades are completed those should largely go away. In other words, the phones get hot and run down battery because they are straining to find and/or hold a weak signal.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Unless she really wants stock ICS, I would get her the EVO LTE. Screen is better, battery is better, I easily get a day and a half with heavy business travel use, camera is better, little useability things in Sense like the calendar and dialer are more convenient, voicemail is better, WiFi range, 3G signal, GPS speed, lots of little things that add up in daily use. Both great phones, and I liked the GNex a lot, but after using both the EVO LTE is better than any device I have ever used. No way I would trade it.

Honestly, I think all of the issues the OP notes with the?GNex are Sammy radio related.

My 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob76.