Buying a Nexus 4 now: will it last 2 years?

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!
As the title says, I'm thinking of buying a Nexus 4, replacing my iPhone 4S.
The question is: will it last, from now, at least 2 years?
Yeah, it's impossible to know, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In terms of software, yes. My 2 year old Nexus is on 4.3 and going strong. For hardware... it's made of glass, take good care of it and it's not likely to be outdated anytime soon.

Tyson Fulton

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So is it worth getting the Nexus 4 now, or waiting for the next Nexus phone, which should cone out late fall?

Posted via Android Central App

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I'm in Italy. So no GPe phones and, if the Nexus 4 is any indication, the next Nexus will arrive here (maybe) officially next year.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi all!
As the title says, I'm thinking of buying a Nexus 4, replacing my iPhone 4S.
The question is: will it last, from now, at least 2 years?
Yeah, it's impossible to know, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

physically depends on how you protect it, but the hardware is good enough (quad core processor, very good gpu, plenty ram) that it should handle whatever comes in the next 2 years.

ONE weak area: no LTE (without rooting the phone, and that still has no amplifier). If in the next year, the carriers really ramp up their LTE and ramp down HSPA+ (which TMobile is doing), then the phone could have very poor coverage and a slow connection.

Last edited:

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So is it worth getting the Nexus 4 now, or waiting for the next Nexus phone, which should cone out late fall?

Posted via Android Central App

Frankly, I doubt if anything dramatic is going to be introduced the fall. The Nexus 4 already has a good processor, is fast, looks good, is inexpensive and unlocked, is not full of carrier bloatware, and is a great developer phone. Add to that , it has the latest version of Android, so what more could someone ask for?

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I doubt if anything dramatic is going to be introduced the fall. The Nexus 4 already has a good processor, is fast, looks good, is inexpensive and unlocked, is not full of carrier bloatware, and is a great developer phone. Add to that , it has the latest version of Android, so what more could someone ask for?

The only hardware improvements I would hope to see on the next Nexus would be camera, battery, storage capacity options - in that order. A newer, more efficient processor would be welcome, of course, but the speed and power on the N4 need no improvement. Same situation with the display. Dual front-facing loudspeakers would be amazing, but I wouldn't count on that.

Even with those improvements, I probably wouldn't trade up unless mine broke, because the N4 is the first phone I've owned that has satisfactory-to-excellent performance in every regard. I doubt the next Nexus will introduce anything to make me feel that I have to upgrade.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nexus phones hold their value much like iPhones. Internally the N4 will be more than good enough to keep up over the next two years. If your concern is speed you will be good. If your concern is physical durability that all depends on how well you take care of it.