Buying and activating off contract

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've decided that I'm going to have to buy the D4 at full price instead of waiting for my upgrade date (July 5), as that will come after VZW kills unlimited data. I have no desire to exchange unlimited for a 2 GB cap.

My question is, how do I activate the new phone and transfer my existing number over to it myself? I've always had a clerk do this for me when I've bought contract phones. Does VZW's site support doing this?

The other is if I no longer have a contract, what's to stop VZW from suddenly sending my rates through the roof?

Thank you.

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I begged to be allowed to upgrade 6 months early and was allowed to keep my unlimited data. I went from Galaxy S to Droid 4 (3G to 4G), so that may have had something to do with it. You should at least ask about early upgrade.

--
Sent from my Droid4 using Tapatalk 2.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've decided that I'm going to have to buy the D4 at full price instead of waiting for my upgrade date (July 5), as that will come after VZW kills unlimited data. I have no desire to exchange unlimited for a 2 GB cap.

My question is, how do I activate the new phone and transfer my existing number over to it myself? I've always had a clerk do this for me when I've bought contract phones. Does VZW's site support doing this?

The other is if I no longer have a contract, what's to stop VZW from suddenly sending my rates through the roof?

Thank you.

You can do line changes and activations on the website.

I don't think there's anything to stop Verizon from changing your off-contract rates, though they may have to give you at least months notice.

I doubt they would do that though, unless you really abused unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

When the new pricing kicks in they're killing the 2GB cap too. You'll be buying a pool of data that can be shared among your devices, at $50 for 1GB, $60 for 2GB, and so on up to $100 for 10GB. I just got onto LTE when the D4 launched, and I was lucky enough to get in for the "double your data" promotion, so I get 4GB for my $40/month.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When the new pricing kicks in they're killing the 2GB cap too. You'll be buying a pool of data that can be shared among your devices, at $50 for 1GB, $60 for 2GB, and so on up to $100 for 10GB. I just got onto LTE when the D4 launched, and I was lucky enough to get in for the "double your data" promotion, so I get 4GB for my $40/month.

Existing customers will have the tiered data options available for single lines.

The OP is buying a D4 at full retail to keep unlimited data.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Existing customers will have the tiered data options available for single lines.

The OP is buying a D4 at full retail to keep unlimited data.

I know. But he was saying that he was doing so to avoid going to the 2GB cap when the did away with unlimited data, and I was pointing out that wasn't the case, it's actually much worse than that. The old 2GB cap (4GB if you got in on double data) is going away too.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought that was only for shared plans. I'm on individual. Individual is supposed to be $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 and $90 for 10. Are they doing away with the individual data plans as well?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know. But he was saying that he was doing so to avoid going to the 2GB cap when the did away with unlimited data, and I was pointing out that wasn't the case, it's actually much worse than that. The old 2GB cap (4GB if you got in on double data) is going away too.

Tiered individual line data plans will still exist for existing customers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So all new customers are being forced onto shared plans?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

In most cases the Share Everything plan will be the only contract option for new customers after 6/28.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's unfair to sing people who only want to buy one phone. What is VZW thinking?

They're thinking it'll be easier to sell multiple devices.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
That's dirty.

Can off-contract customers' bills be raised out of the blue? Would VZW give noice before suddenly jacking my rates?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's dirty.

Can off-contract customers' bills be raised out of the blue? Would VZW give noice before suddenly jacking my rates?

It probably can, with maybe a month or two of notice.

I don't think Verizon has ever done that to anyone still with them but off-contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61