Byebye Droid, back to my blackberry (For now)! Quick review

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
First of all, this is in no way an attempt to bash the Droid - i.e., I'm not posting this to say "Droid sucks! Blackberry Rules!". Please don't assume that!

On the contrary, I really liked the Droid. The only reason I decided to return it (within my 30 day eval period on Verizon for NE2) is because of all the hype surrounding new and upcoming phones within the next couple weeks. I generally stick to whatever technology Verizon pays for (i.e., I switch every time I get an NE2, but not generally sooner), so it's in my best interest to get whatever the latest and greatest is while I still have time.

The Droid, while awesome, and my first exposure to Android, left me thinking there's probably room for improvement (in my personal opinion) that I'll find in either the Nexus 1 (on Verizon) or the Incredible.

Specifically, here's what I did NOT like about the Droid:

- the hardware keyboard - no matter how many times I used it, I couldn't get comfortable with it, and I couldn't help but compare it to my BB, and it doesn't even compare. The d-pad was *completely* useless to me.
- on a related note, the slider feature - now, Motorola did a terrific job implementing this. Sliders always make me nervous, because moving parts are parts that can and will break eventually. I didn't get this sense at ALL with the Droid, but it still made me nervous that one day I'd drop it and that would break immediately. Maybe just my imagination, but I frequently got the slider to partially open just from regular movement in my pocket, and that annoyed me.
- the camera - maybe just a software thing, but it was slow to take pictures, and that was irritating
- the e-mail problem - I still don't know what's up with that, but I experienced sync failure several times, one of which I was unable to recover from most of the day, and then it just popped back on. May be related to Wifi, not sure. I deleted weatherbug (on a random tip), and the problem didn't recur, but I didn't use wifi either, so who knows. Just something that I never solved.
- Heat - not a huge deal, but the phone got warm/hot with even modest functions. I may find this unavoidable as processors get more capable, but it's an observation I didn't care for.

I had to dig to think of some of these problems. Overall, the phone and OS are great. I really liked the feel and the weight, it just feels like a well built device. It's snappy enough (although the touchscreen keyboard would get laggy in certain situations). The battery life at first was horrid, but I must say, improved to the point of complete usability after a couple weeks. I never had to recharge mid-day. Whatever phone I end up with, I'll buy a spare battery for just in case.

The final straw that convinced me 100% to return it was the 2nd failure of whoever to put out the 2.1 update. I don't want to deal with that, and I look forward to frequent updates on the N1, when they're available. I think with 2.1, the Droid will be even better.

So it's back to my slow-ass Curve 8330 until the N1 and/or Incredible are available. My plan is to see how things look with those phones, and if initial reviews are positive, I'll pick one. If initial reviews are negative, or if the NE2 is for some reason not allowed with the N1, I may even go back to the Droid, and I'd be happy to do so. Mainly, I just don't need the hardware keyboard, and thus the slider function, and so I'd rather not have it.

Thanks for all the tips on this forum, I'll be checking in to see if I can offer any advice on my brief but decent experience with the Droid!

By the way, I used it up until the last possible minute - 30 days expires tomorrow!

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Best of luck! Hopefully you won't be waiting too long, AC's main page just had an article that the Incredible could come out as soon as two weeks!

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Best of luck! Hopefully you won't be waiting too long, AC's main page just had an article that the Incredible could come out as soon as two weeks!

Thanks - I'm actually leaning more toward the Nexus 1 right now, even though I gather it's far from perfect. Hopefully that'll be 3/23 as has been rumored, so I won't be out of service for more than another week or 2. But, if the Incredible will only be 2 weeks, I may want to wait and see it in store before I make up my mind. This could go on forever!

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
First of all, this is in no way an attempt to bash the Droid - i.e., I'm not posting this to say "Droid sucks! Blackberry Rules!". Please don't assume that!

On the contrary, I really liked the Droid. The only reason I decided to return it (within my 30 day eval period on Verizon for NE2) is because of all the hype surrounding new and upcoming phones within the next couple weeks. I generally stick to whatever technology Verizon pays for (i.e., I switch every time I get an NE2, but not generally sooner), so it's in my best interest to get whatever the latest and greatest is while I still have time.

The Droid, while awesome, and my first exposure to Android, left me thinking there's probably room for improvement (in my personal opinion) that I'll find in either the Nexus 1 (on Verizon) or the Incredible.

Specifically, here's what I did NOT like about the Droid:

- the hardware keyboard - no matter how many times I used it, I couldn't get comfortable with it, and I couldn't help but compare it to my BB, and it doesn't even compare. The d-pad was *completely* useless to me.
- on a related note, the slider feature - now, Motorola did a terrific job implementing this. Sliders always make me nervous, because moving parts are parts that can and will break eventually. I didn't get this sense at ALL with the Droid, but it still made me nervous that one day I'd drop it and that would break immediately. Maybe just my imagination, but I frequently got the slider to partially open just from regular movement in my pocket, and that annoyed me.
- the camera - maybe just a software thing, but it was slow to take pictures, and that was irritating
- the e-mail problem - I still don't know what's up with that, but I experienced sync failure several times, one of which I was unable to recover from most of the day, and then it just popped back on. May be related to Wifi, not sure. I deleted weatherbug (on a random tip), and the problem didn't recur, but I didn't use wifi either, so who knows. Just something that I never solved.
- Heat - not a huge deal, but the phone got warm/hot with even modest functions. I may find this unavoidable as processors get more capable, but it's an observation I didn't care for.

I had to dig to think of some of these problems. Overall, the phone and OS are great. I really liked the feel and the weight, it just feels like a well built device. It's snappy enough (although the touchscreen keyboard would get laggy in certain situations). The battery life at first was horrid, but I must say, improved to the point of complete usability after a couple weeks. I never had to recharge mid-day. Whatever phone I end up with, I'll buy a spare battery for just in case.

The final straw that convinced me 100% to return it was the 2nd failure of whoever to put out the 2.1 update. I don't want to deal with that, and I look forward to frequent updates on the N1, when they're available. I think with 2.1, the Droid will be even better.

So it's back to my slow-ass Curve 8330 until the N1 and/or Incredible are available. My plan is to see how things look with those phones, and if initial reviews are positive, I'll pick one. If initial reviews are negative, or if the NE2 is for some reason not allowed with the N1, I may even go back to the Droid, and I'd be happy to do so. Mainly, I just don't need the hardware keyboard, and thus the slider function, and so I'd rather not have it.

Thanks for all the tips on this forum, I'll be checking in to see if I can offer any advice on my brief but decent experience with the Droid!

By the way, I used it up until the last possible minute - 30 days expires tomorrow!

The first thing you bring up is two new phones coming out soon and then you say you did not like the Droid's keyboard. The other two phones you mention do not have keyboards, only on screen ones. Whats up wth that?
Now you mention updates for the N1, What updates?
One thing I will say is that I have not had any of the problems you experienced and I have had my phone since release.
I wish you good...better luck with your next phone.
Bill.:)

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
The first thing you bring up is two new phones coming out soon and then you say you did not like the Droid's keyboard. The other two phones you mention do not have keyboards, only on screen ones. Whats up wth that?
Now you mention updates for the N1, What updates?
One thing I will say is that I have not had any of the problems you experienced and I have had my phone since release.
I wish you good...better luck with your next phone.
Bill.:)

Exactly - I'd rather have NO hardware keyboard than a crappy one. That's why I have my eye on the Nexus 1. The onscreen keyboard is fine, and that's all I was using on the Droid in the end, because the hardware keyboard sucked so badly.

As for updates... The Droid keeps getting the 2.1 carrot dangled in front of its face, then yanked away. I believe that problem is far less likely to occur with the "Google" phone. Most people are suggesting that any new updates are likely to hit the Nexus 1 first, as they become available, without concern for the manufacturer or provider "allowing" it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaylebarts7