Calendar entries not syncing - is this the solution?

curlychris

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi

So I've had the Honor 8 for 3 months now - quite liked it to begin with; then didn't; then got used to EMUI 4.1 and liked it again; then didn't like it after the upgrade to 5; then liked it again - but then I started noticing a problem with the calendar app - I use Pocket Informant - meaning I haven't really trusted it for the last month.

I see clients for my business out of a couple of different locations plus the odd home visit and usually book follow up appointments on the Honor before they/I leave. Unknown to me to begin with, some of these appointments subsequently disappeared from my calendar meaning I've missed several client follow ups over the past month (NOT good for business!!). Once I realised this was happening I started paying attention and on one occasion I left the office in town having booked 3 follow ups and by the time I got home 20 min later, all 3 had disappeared from the phone. But it's not every appointment that vanishes and appointments I make when I'm at home (on wifi) don't disappear.

In desperation I did a backup and factory reset yesterday but on setting everything up again I realised that I had previously had all apps set to close on screen lock to save power. My theory is that if Pocket Informant hasn't synced before it gets closed, those new additions get deleted. So I've now got it set not to close and hoping that'll solve the problem.

Anyone else encountered this kind of issue?
Is this a likely solution?
Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited:

curlychris

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Update - I posted this question to Honor support UK and received the following reply:

Try enabling a few things to see if this helps resolve the issue...
1) Please go into Settings » Wi-Fi » Advanced settings » Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep » Always
2) Please go into Settings » More » Wireless & networks » Mobile Network » and enable Always-on mobile data
3) Please go into Settings » Networked apps » and mark the desired apps that you want to work with both Wi-Fi and mobile data
4) Please now go to Phone Manager app » (swipe left) Protected apps » and enable any apps that you want to keep running after the screen is turned off.
5) Please, in the Phone Manage app, also select the Battery Manager and select the normal performance power plan (the smart power plan will disable Wi-Fi and other apps to conserve battery life.)
6) Finally, when you make an appointment, you can close/lock the screen but do not actually close the app (you can close it later when you're sure that it has synced).
7) If you think that your battery life or other circumstances are going to prevent your phone from syncing, you should be able to go into Settings » Accounts » Google account » and find an option to sync the account there.

Please let us know if the above helps to resolve the issue. We do apologize that some of these settings have caused some missed appointments. The default settings are designed for people who use their phone with a wide variety of uses and to conserve as much battery as possible for you.

So this looks like it confirms my theory that aggressive app closure is the reason for the dropped appointments. And it appears to have resolved the issue since booking client appointments today without a data connection, all appointments have subsequently synchronised.

Hope this might be helpful to anyone else experiencing this problem.
Chris

curlychris

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Update #2

It's been a quiet 3 weeks but yesterday I made an appointment at a venue with no data signal. When I left 3 hours later, I checked the phone and the appointment had disappeared.

Another search later and I've found a thread from April that might hold the answer. Turns out there's a known sync problem with Huawei's own calendar and the recommendation is to install Google Calendar and kill all permissions for the built-in app.

See https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/calendar/8_k0dNaAQ0g/Hffn2aV-DgAJ

Interesting calendar info here as well describing a sync problem:
https://ptacnikt.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/honor-8-fix-push-notifications-calendar.html

And I'm not the only one...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/honor-8/help/google-calendar-sync-broken-t3548791

Chris