Calendar event as a text message

slowblinker

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
I have the Motorola Droid and was lead to believe that when I have an event occur in my calendar (NOT Corporate Calendar) that it would send me an e-mail or a text message (I prefer an SMS) but this has never worked for me.
Can anyone let me know what I need to make this happen? When an event happens on this calendar NOTHING happens on my phone to let me know and it is crucial for my home and business.

Thank you!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
What's wrong with the notifications that are built in to the calendar app/phone? When you create an event there's an option to set a reminder prior to and when the event occurs. Maybe I don't understand the problem.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
there is a lot more customization available when you set up events on your google calendar on your browser, i.e., being able to set a custom reminder time (as opposed to the limited presets on the calendar app), or the ability to send an email reminder

slowblinker

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
@ Libuff, Thank you for that. I feel (rightfully so) stupid for missing that in GMail. When I went in, it was set to Email and SMS for 10 minute prior reminders but nothing was happening. I have played with the settings and run some tests.

@ 8notime, I had the BB Pearl prior to this and when an event occurred, I would get audio and vibrating cues that the even occurred and the entire screen would be taken up with the reminder, forcing me to acknowledge it in some way. With the Droid, it might beep once or the notification bar at the top would have a small message. The BB was much more in your face (even the flashing light was bigger/brighter). I don't always carry the phone with me so I need to be able to glance at it and see if I need to respond to it.

That you also Terp.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
@ 8notime, I had the BB Pearl prior to this and when an event occurred, I would get audio and vibrating cues that the even occurred and the entire screen would be taken up with the reminder, forcing me to acknowledge it in some way. With the Droid, it might beep once or the notification bar at the top would have a small message. The BB was much more in your face (even the flashing light was bigger/brighter). I don't always carry the phone with me so I need to be able to glance at it and see if I need to respond to it.

That makes sense. Actually the Touch Pro 2, running Windows Mobile was much more in my face about it too. Having said that, the combination of audible and visual alerts on the Droid has been enough for me so far. Maybe there will be some 3rd party apps that can make use of pop-ups on the screen to alert you to calendar reminder events so you can see them better, and also make use of the vibrate and audio better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drloksoft