Calendar Notifications

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Got my Droid a week ago (left Sprint and my Pre behind) and love this thing.

But (isn't there always), I've found a behaviour that's a bit annoying. I, my wife, and each of our kids have Google accounts. The kids don't really use theirs yet, they are mostly for me to put their sports practices, games, birthday parties, etc. into the calendar. My wife and I have full read/write on all four calendars and I display them on my Droid, just as I did on my Pre.

So far, so good. But, on my Pre, I would only get notifications for the calendar tied directly to my account, which was perfect.

On the Droid, when an event with a reminder comes up on any of the four calendars, I get a notification. I want to see the other three for reference, but I don't need a reminder popping up on my phone when my wife is going to a meeting or appointment.

I've been digging around, but I can't find a way to select which calendars generate notifications. At this point, it's an annoyance I can live with, but if there's a way to turn off the other calendar notifications on my phone, I'd love to know how.

THanks,

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that the Eris has a different Calendar app, but on the Eris, in the calendar, menu, settings, reminders, you can choose "All calendars" or you can choose individual calendars to notify you.

Another thing you may want to try is in Google Calendar on a web browser in your PC, go into the calendar settings; there is a notification setting for each calendar, and you can choose to have no default notifications. That said, I think that existing events with notifications will keep them even after you make that setting. You may need to remove the notifications from each event. Maybe you can export the calendar events, delete the calendar, recreate them, and then reimport the events that you exported? I'm not sure about that - perhaps a test with a new, test calendar would be smart before trying that.

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the Droid doesn't have those options to selectively choose calendars. Maybe 2.1 will change that.

As for removing the reminders from the other calendars - the only problem with that is my wife still needs her reminders for her calendar to show up on her Droid.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I only have one calendar on my droid. So, I don't know if this will work . Also, I don't want to insult your intelligence if you've already tried this basic thing.... but, just in case you haven't....

Open one of the calendars (on your droid) you don't want the reminders for > menu > more > settings > under "set alert and notification" select "none".

again, this is pretty basic and you've probably already tried that. its just that when im troubleshooting, I like to remove the obvious stuff first

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well, that's part of the problem. Digging down to that option in the menu doesn't give an option to apply to selective calendars. I can't selectively open a particular calendar. I can only select, from another menu screen, which of the calendars I have connected are displayed.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, that's part of the problem. Digging down to that option in the menu doesn't give an option to apply to selective calendars. I can't selectively open a particular calendar. I can only select, from another menu screen, which of the calendars I have connected are displayed.

Oh well... I gave it a shot. That's interesting that the settings are universal and not for individual calendars. I might create a second calendar and install it just to test. I hate when slave tells master what to do. Remember: Droid is your slave, you are its master - It MUST obey master. We will not tolerate insolence.