Caller can't hear me when I make a voice call

DanielDeronda666

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
I have a Motorola G7 Power, bought just over 2yrs ago. I have a SIM only plan with Virgin Mobile. They have used the EE network up until very recently where the service has migrated over to Vodafone. I am on Android 10.

I have had no signal problems or with voice calls until the last few days. I tried phoning somebody on my handset & although I could hear them loud & clear, they couldn't hear me. I was calling from home & my Wi-Fi signal was very strong & the 4G signal had at least 2 bars.

I tried phoning somebody else in a different location & they could hear me without any problems.

I have rebooted the phone, updated any apps with the latest versions, have inserted earphones with a microphone, have tested the phone hardware (speaker/receiver & microphone) & these are either working fine or had no effect. I have also cleaned the microphone (the small hole at the bottom of the phone)

I have also the network coverage is now patchy (falling down from 4G to 3G/2G to cutting out completely).

I don't know what else to do & don't know whether it is a hardware or software problem. I haven't loaded any apps since I've been having the problem.

I am going to try my SIM card in another phone as well as using another SIM card in my current phone.

This has me completely baffled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it only that person who can't hear you? Other people you call have no issue?

Does that one person have an iPhone?

DanielDeronda666

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
It varies, some people I call can hear me without any problems, but others, the sound is either very muffled or they can't hear me at all.

People who can't hear me, some have an iPhone & some have an Android phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, since you mentioned having strong wi-fi in your original post, I assumed that meant you were using wi-fi calling.

The choppy cell signal may be part of the problem -- even if the phone shows what seems to be steady 4G signal, the fact that you're noticing some choppiness may still mean that the signal is intermittently dropping. There might not be much you can do about that if you're in an area with marginal coverage. Have you already asked Virgin about this?

Try also booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists: https://www.motorola-support.com/us-en/?page=device/motorola/moto-g7-power/topic/reset/safe-mode/1

DanielDeronda666

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
I have tried my Virgin SIM in another handset (an Apple iPhone 6s Plus) & made a voice call to a friend & that did not have any issues with my friend not being able to hear me at the other end.

Does that lead me to believe it is an issue with my Motorola G7 Power handset? Or is it with Android in general>

I'm not sure whether I want to stay with Apple in the longer term, so would appreciate any advice on what might have caused the original issue. My speaker/receiver & microphone were all tested & I could hear my voice back, so maybe it's a software issue.