Calls Going Straight to Voicemail

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My fellow AC Forum brethren, I come to you with quite a perplexing issue. Firstly I apologize in advance for the long post, but here goes ...

As the title states, I'm having an issue with calls going straight to voicemail, it's not all the time but it does happen often and is very aggravating! This also happens with people I have saved as a contact.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* Switched to ESim - my SIM card was ancient so figured that my be the issue, it wasn't.

* Reset network connections, still happening

* Decided to switch to my Pixel 7 Pro to eliminate the possibility it's my carrier (T-Mobile). Unrelated sidenote, apparently T-Mobile ESim and Google Pixel 7 Pro aren't compatible, so I had to go into a T-Mo store and get a new physical SIM

* Used Pixel 7 Pro for several days without issue

* Decided to give the S23 Ultra another shot with the new physical SIM and with a clean install... Performed a full factory reset (even booted into recovery mode and factory reset three times (just like the old ROM flashing days ) for good measure.
° Restored NOTHING ... Downloaded all apps new from Play Store and set everything up from scratch. Even omitted installing Good Lock, as painful as that is LOL just in case a module wasn't playing nice (I did have to download One hand operation+ because I cannot live without it LOL) ... No luck

Also tried these at various times with no luck:

* WiFi calling on or off makes no difference

* Checked call forwarding settings and they all seem right

* Turn off spam protection

* obviously make sure DND is off and vibrate or sounds are on.

At first I thought it was a deep sleep issue, but I've gotten texts from folks saying "I tried to call and it went right to voicemail" while I was using the phone (watching YouTube/playing music, browsing this forum or the web, etc.)

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Thanks![/B]

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yank, after reading that, I need a nap ;). seriously, if anything occurs, I'll pop on. sounds like a PITA.
Yeah, it's been something LOL

Tried everything I can think of. May wait for another update and see if it persists. If it does I may have to reach out to Sammy ... Maybe I got a dud??

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Are you using TMO VM or Google Voice?

Also scroll down to call services to make sure you covered the corresponding codes ..

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
What about Safe Mode?
With it being somewhat sporadic I'd have to keep my phone in Safe Mode for quite a while, which isn't the end of the world I guess.

I have thought about Safe Mode, but the problem is some days it's fine .... So how can I tell it's working because of Safe Mode and it's not just a "good day"? LOL

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If not already, suggest running the test(s) in Settings/Battery and device care/Diagnostics/Phone diagnostics might be helpful. There are tests for "SIM card", "Mobile network", and others. Might help to run the tests to rule out anything unlikely at play. The Settings path above is on my Note 22 Ultra just in case it is slightly different on the S23 Ultra.

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With it being somewhat sporadic I'd have to keep my phone in Safe Mode for quite a while, which isn't the end of the world I guess.

I have thought about Safe Mode, but the problem is some days it's fine .... So how can I tell it's working because of Safe Mode and it's not just a "good day"? LOL
Oh, I see -- you had mentioned that it happens often, so I thought it might still be worth it. You could have a friend or family member test call you a few times to increase the chances of it happening, perhaps?

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I may be on to something. Started thinking about this whole situation and realized every time this happens (or every time someone informs me it happens) I've been at home. I remembered years ago when I switched to T-Mobile they gave me a signal booster because my service here is pretty trash. I unplugged the booster this afternoon and had folks call me to test and so every call worked. Will keep it unplugged for a while and see how it goes (Sadly signal at my house is still trash LOL)

Gdoke

May 24, 2023
Visit site
I just had same problem with a Pixel 7 Pro on AT&T. I tied everything that was in phone menus, even reverted to stock launcher.
The guys at my AT&T store figured out that their Active Armor and the older (obsolete?) Call Protect or whatever they call it were both loaded on the phone. Neither was enabled but somehow they caused a conflict and wouldn't let any calls through besides my favorites that carried over from an older phone. With only one of these apps on the phone - All is well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just had same problem with a Pixel 7 Pro on AT&T. I tied everything that was in phone menus, even reverted to stock launcher.
The guys at my AT&T store figured out that their Active Armor and the older (obsolete?) Call Protect or whatever they call it were both loaded on the phone. Neither was enabled but somehow they caused a conflict and wouldn't let any calls through besides my favorites that carried over from an older phone. With only one of these apps on the phone - All is well.
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the input!

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My fellow AC Forum brethren, I come to you with quite a perplexing issue. Firstly I apologize in advance for the long post, but here goes ...

As the title states, I'm having an issue with calls going straight to voicemail, it's not all the time but it does happen often and is very aggravating! This also happens with people I have saved as a contact.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* Switched to ESim - my SIM card was ancient so figured that my be the issue, it wasn't.

* Reset network connections, still happening

* Decided to switch to my Pixel 7 Pro to eliminate the possibility it's my carrier (T-Mobile). Unrelated sidenote, apparently T-Mobile ESim and Google Pixel 7 Pro aren't compatible, so I had to go into a T-Mo store and get a new physical SIM

* Used Pixel 7 Pro for several days without issue

* Decided to give the S23 Ultra another shot with the new physical SIM and with a clean install... Performed a full factory reset (even booted into recovery mode and factory reset three times (just like the old ROM flashing days ) for good measure.
° Restored NOTHING ... Downloaded all apps new from Play Store and set everything up from scratch. Even omitted installing Good Lock, as painful as that is LOL just in case a module wasn't playing nice (I did have to download One hand operation+ because I cannot live without it LOL) ... No luck

Also tried these at various times with no luck:

* WiFi calling on or off makes no difference

* Checked call forwarding settings and they all seem right

* Turn off spam protection

* obviously make sure DND is off and vibrate or sounds are on.

At first I thought it was a deep sleep issue, but I've gotten texts from folks saying "I tried to call and it went right to voicemail" while I was using the phone (watching YouTube/playing music, browsing this forum or the web, etc.)

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Thanks![/B]
Have you downloaded any third party apps? If you have check the app and see if anyone was accidently sent to VM and then check your contacts. One time only my daughter was going straight to VM using a 3rd party app. That's how I fixed it.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thought I had this issue figured out but no luck. Switching back and forth between the S23U and Pixel 7 Pro ... with the 7 Pro I never get random voicemails notifications. If I get a voicemail there's always a missed call notification to accompany it. On the S23U it's a regular occurrence to just get a voicemail notifications with the phone never ringing or showing a missed call

It's very frustrating as this means I cannot use the S23U as my daily driver ... I can't use a device that can't be relied on for phone calls

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Thought I had this issue figured out but no luck. Switching back and forth between the S23U and Pixel 7 Pro ... with the 7 Pro I never get random voicemails notifications. If I get a voicemail there's always a missed call notification to accompany it. On the S23U it's a regular occurrence to just get a voicemail notifications with the phone never ringing or showing a missed call
emoji53.png

It's very frustrating as this means I cannot use the S23U as my daily driver ... I can't use a device that can't be relied on for phone calls
emoji17.png
Sorry dude! But the P7P is no slouch...and I still love the camera and it simplicity is not a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech