Camera Fix!!

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Taken from the Crackberry Forums. ( I don't like taking credit for things that aren't mine). Thought it was definatly worth sharing!

Somebody in the Droid forum posted a fix on the camera focus issue. Seems that there is some oil/film on the surface of camera lens. If you clean the surface of the camera lens witha soft cleaning fabric it will make your camera focus 100% better.
I tried it myself, and i get the green focus bars almost all the time now.
Thank you "cpetku "!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/camera-fix-365534/

RJNavarrete

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Everybody, it seems as if some sort of OTA update has been sent out. I'm not sure at what time, but everybody's camera seems to work just fine now...

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Like most of you are saying, I highly doubt cleaning the lens does a thing. In fact my lens did not have anything on it... can anyone else verify any sort of film over their lens? This was a update.

trabbic

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I might have to agree with the "silent update" theory.

Because I am also noticing that the 3G connection is turning on during wifi sessions to download voicemail. It had never done that until last night.

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I might have to agree with the "silent update" theory.

Because I am also noticing that the 3G connection is turning on during wifi sessions to download voicemail. It had never done that until last night.

No update... No Cleaning... It's a problem in the code of the camera. It will work correctly for the next 24.5 days.

R

Roy Aguilera

No update... No Cleaning... It's a problem in the code of the camera. It will work correctly for the next 24.5 days.

Correct. Cereal Killer posted this info in CB
So it appears this is what transpired. I was pretty skeptical of a "silent update" No idea how they could flash the firmware without an install/notification (not saying it NOT possible but don't understand how)

I got this off of Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Explains the 11th push for the update maybe?

So glad I left BB. If this was a RIM issue we'd be waiting for months : )

Nope. Google?s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There?s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver?s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it?ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
The 17th is the start of a new ?works correctly? cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, this all sounds very interesting... I guess the bottom line for me is that my camera is now working and I'm getting green focus corners consistently. Awesome!

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i was also skeptical of a super secret update that occurred without notifying users, etc...

so if i'm understanding correctly we have 24.5 days with a properly functioning camera... 14 days left this month (counting today) + 11 days next month, looks like we might have to deal with a busted camera for a day or so next month just before the update.

i am definitely pleased with the camera performance now that it appears to be working "correctly"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yessica8yessica