Camera from the lock screen

mathematiker

May 21, 2012
Visit site
On my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I can simply swipe to the right from the lock screen to take some photos. Because I have pattern protection, I can only see the new photos taken while the phone is locked, and coming out of the camera app takes me back to the lock screen. All of this works very well and I love it!

However, I realized that I cannot add a camera "widget" to my lock screen on my new Nexus 7. Swiping to the right is not allowed, if I swipe to left, I cannot add a camera widget, it doesn't appear in the list of widgets.

Am I missing something? Has anyone been able to add camera to their lock screens? I do not want to unlock the tablet every time I want to take a photo.

Help me Lloyd Kenobi, you're my only hope.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine won't do it either, but I'm kinda happy about it cause I often launch the camera by mistake, and it takes a few seconds to exit it.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try Power Toggles, one of my favorite apps. Very versatile, and allows you to put a toggle bar on the lockscreen. You can add a shortcut for any app (including camera) on the toggle bar, so I think you can do that on the lockscreen as well, but haven't tried it myself.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I was also curious as to why that's not there. Not a big deal but kind of like that feature on my phone. Although the camera is pretty crappy so doesn't bug me too much.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The camera on mine isn't crappy at all. In fact it's really quite good. Here's my very first image taken indoors in low light. I can enlarge it quite a bit and it holds detail very well.

1375388622369.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't do this on my Nexus 7. It works on the Nexus 4. Both running the same stock version of Android, so why is this function disabled on the tablet? I don't plan on using the 7's camera much, but it still seems strange.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You know what, seeing other photos from the new nexus 7, this one included, there is something wrong with my rear camera. I can't even get that quality indoors with good lighting...and I've messed with all the settings as well. Every picture is granulated and there is very little detail.

Edit: sorry for getting off topic.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your lens cover glass is clean with no fingerprints. Wipe it with a microfiber cloth. I'm consistently getting high quality images.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) via the Android Central App.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So I just took some more test shots and maybe its just really bad in anything less that great lighting. So in great lighting it takes decent photos. Not great though.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As with any camera, it can only record light hitting the sensor. The more photons hitting the sensor, the more information to process, the higher the definition and the less grain. The lower the light, the more grain and loss of definition.

The photo of my keys was made in a brightly lit cafeteria. You can see the bright lighting reflected on the table top.

The camera is certainly no high end DSLR with a high end lens, but I think it is better than what I've experienced with other tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) via the Android Central App.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The cam is definitely sub-par; but its better than not having one at all IMO.

My camera is quite definitely better than the average tablet camera and I'd certainly not classify mine as sub-par. That should be apparent from the image I posted previously. I'm quite pleased with mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The camera seems pretty decent, but nothing spectacular--exactly what it should be. Come on, who's really going to use their N7 as their main camera? Do you really want to look like all of those folks taking pictures in public with their big iPads, which is kind of saying, "Look at me, I'm rich enough to own an iPad. By the way, come rob me over in this alley"?