Can anyone talk me out of returning the Bionic

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's my dilemma.

PROS:
1)Great price and lots of extras from Costco making it a great value IMO.
2)Phone is fast and I like the UI
3)Like the size and feel of phone.
4)Battery life seems reasonable compared to other similar phones.

CONS:
1)Dropping of data constantly at work only (4g area but I am inside a building) .This is my biggest problem as I am not sure if this is a phone issue fixed with a software update or not.
2)Crackling sound while using Netflix.
3)Unable to use non Motorola chargers and while plugged in the screen doesn't act right. (Minor I know but this never was a problem with any other phone I have owned).
4)Possibility of Nexus/Droid Prime coming in October. I have waited some time for a new phone and do not want to give this phone up with the potential of a long delay in upcoming phones.

I have until tomorrow to make my decision and I would appreciate words of encouragement or words of wisdom to help in my decision.
Thanks to all that respond.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
1) Hook into your WiFi network at work
2) Get rid of Netflix - 99% of the movies suck
3) I use non-motorola chargers all the time... My old Blackberry mini-usb charger is what i use overnight, and my Logitech wireless mouse charger also plugs into the Bionic for daytime charging at work

DatkidPudge

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue.. Why do you have until tomorrow..
IF you return your phone back at costco after 30 days or something do you lose your
Verizon Upgrade?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No one can make this decision for you. The question is whether you can live with the "cons"... not sure why non-Moto chargers aren't working, I've so far used a blackberry and a kindle charger with no issues. Kinda sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to get rid of it, even though you like it.

and as for your "con" #4 - this is silly IMO. Even if those other phones launch when they are rumored to (please see Bionic release situation), there's no guarantee that there won't be issues with them either. There is always going to be something bigger better faster stronger... just right over the horizon and sometimes, just out of reach (for a relatively short period of time).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
netflix knows they have an issue with their app, so be patient

the data connection issue should get fixed in an update (try setting up an airplane shortcut to toggle in/out of airplane mode to see if that helps at all)

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I personally have not experienced the data issue. It may be the network in your area. Can you switch to 3G or Wi-Fi at work? Another 4G phone may not be better until the 4G network is beefed up. Moto phones tend to have the strongest radios.

The Netflix issue is an app problem that Netflix will fix with an update.

I have had no issues with using non Moto chargers.

Bottom line, the Bionic is the best smartphone on Verizon today. It is likely that will change in a month or two when the prime comes out. And then a couple of months into the new year, something better than the prime will come out. It is a neverending cycle. If I always decided to wait for the next phone on the release schedule I would still be rocking a StarTac.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Liking any phone is process of compromises. Unless you are an engineer and own a manufacturing facility so that you can build your own device, there will likely never be one that does not have some cons to it. I would suspect that the Droid HD, the Prime, Vigor and whatever else comes out will also have issues...all new phones do. Mine does everything I want it to, so I'm extremely happy with it. I would suggest that you return it and get the next best thing, but I suspect that a few months later, you'll still be wanting whatever the next best thing is. You've got to learn to "love the one you're with."

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
4)Possibility of Nexus/Droid Prime coming in October. I have waited some time for a new phone and do not want to give this phone up with the potential of a long delay in upcoming phones.

I have until tomorrow to make my decision and I would appreciate words of encouragement or words of wisdom to help in my decision.
Thanks to all that respond.

If it helps, the Nexus Prime will probably be out November 3rd. I don't know if being able to set a definitive date matters for you.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't consider having a phone that has a bunch of cons bothering me. I would grow to hating the phone and using it.

doc832

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of doing the same thing. I am currently unable to talk you out of your decision. My phone is not getting calls, the 4g-3g either toggle back and forth despite good signal. OR I get no phone calls at all when in a strong calling area. Not sure its the network, but V to V calls should be priority and get through to my phone. The unreliability of this phone really has me disappointed.
Take it back. Wait for the PRIME...that phone is faster and more crazy. Maybe even less reliable.
:'( :confused:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't consider having a phone that has a bunch of cons bothering me. I would grow to hating the phone and using it.

Please name a phone that doesn't have ANY problems. Just one. and also make that one phone a phone that is less than two weeks old...

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
every phone will have its issues, you will never find a "perfect" device for everybody. You have to decide if you can live with where the Bionic falls short or find another device where im sure you will be able to find something complete different to dislike about it.

Look at the new GS2 for example, that phone is having lock up issues, widgets not working properly and 4G connectivity issues.

The phones just came out there will be issues with any new device.

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Why such silly threads, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks it is how you feel, if you want to return it do so if you dont keep it that is it.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
every phone will have its issues, you will never find a "perfect" device for everybody. You have to decide if you can live with where the Bionic falls short or find another device where im sure you will be able to find something complete different to dislike about it.

Look at the new GS2 for example, that phone is having lock up issues, widgets not working properly and 4G connectivity issues.

The phones just came out there will be issues with any new device.

It is the price you pay for being an early adopter. Anybody can always wait and let the bugs get worked out.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input. I do understand that all phones have issues when they are first released but I guess I am just a little nervous that some of these problems are more hardware then software.
Administrators feel free to end this thread.

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4.....I brought the Bionic...had it for 3 days returned it because I wasnt a fan of the screen or the camera.....After i returned...I noticed that I missed having it...so I brought it again! lol and this time...Im loving it and it aint going nowhere but everywhere with me lol

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine went back tonight, just couldn't get past the battery life shortcomings. DX until the next great phone arrives.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waimopete