Can hangouts do HD video streaming? or what other options do I have?

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi AC guys. I haven't done many video chats in the past, but now I have a need for it for work. I'm trying to get my warehouse employees to carry a nexus 7 with them and if they need to show any of the managers product, they can just do a quick video chat to show them, but I noticed that google hangouts video stream is not so clear even within the same wifi. I don't see a setting to change the quality, am I missing it? Should I try a different service? Thanks

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
on principle alone, no one should help you since that is a business matter that people pay good money for answers to. I think help for commerical reasons should be strictly prohibited....we are not your interns or work horses. For us to give free advice for commercial business purposes, is taking food out of the mouth of hard working IT people.

here's a tip tho: just have them take a snapshot with the rear camera, or call google.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
on principle alone, no one should help you since that is a business matter that people pay good money for answers to. I think help for commerical reasons should be strictly prohibited....we are not your interns or work horses. For us to give free advice for commercial business purposes, is taking food out of the mouth of hard working IT people.

here's a tip tho: just have them take a snapshot with the rear camera, or call google.

Thanks for your tip, but you are taking this way out of proportion and my reply will probably too. I believe my question is pretty generic in which it would mostly apply to personal matter anyway, like video chat with my kids in which other people might find it helpful too. I didn't know by being honest and saying how I would use it for business as well would get me no answers on principle alone. I guess anyone who has issues setting up their work emails shouldn't post for help here on AC either. Please send me your paypal address so that I can send you 1$ for your tip.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Lmao!

In short there is no setting to increase picture quality for hangouts. There is also no app that I know of for HD video conferencing. You are looking for something that may be sold through companies like Cisco for an arm and a leg and in the end not be as portable as the N7. Make sure your network is optimized for it and your bandwidth can handle it. The picture will look better the better the networks are (up to a point, then it doesn't matter).

I use Hangouts with Family several states away and find the quality acceptable though our requirements are decidedly different to decide what "acceptable" is. The fact they are on the same network may in fact be a cause of poor quality. Try them on different networks from different machines (laptops/desktops).

If said family member is on VZW 4G the picture looks amazing because of their fast upload/download. If they're on crappy/weak wifi its choppy.

I would look at my ISP and wireless routers first.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks NewAge, I just wanted to post on here before downloading skype or any other chat service. It was just for trial and laziness, no need for the Cisco equipment just yet lol. Thanks again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinNora