Can I add a Samsung Account to a Phone without all the Password Reset/Unlock Abilities?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to use Secure Folder, but it requires a Samsung account to be added to the phone. Which then allows your secure folder pin to be reset, the whole phone to be remotely unlocked, reset the lockscreen, etc...

That defeats the purpose of secure folder to me. I dont want any of that ability. Is there a way to use secure folder or add a samsung account without all that?

thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Which then allows your secure folder pin to be reset, the whole phone to be remotely unlocked, reset the lockscreen, etc...

None of that can happen without first verifying your identity and account ownership by logging in with your credentials. It won't allow random resets and changes, or others to log in (as long as you are not lax in controlling your info and using strong passwords), if that's your concern.

Pcrcol

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
None of that can happen without first verifying your identity and account ownership by logging in with your credentials. It won't allow random resets and changes, or others to log in (as long as you are not lax in controlling your info and using strong passwords), if that's your concern.

Sorry I thought I Was logged in already when I posted this.

So when you say "None of that can happen without first verifying your identity and account ownership by logging in with your credentials." Are you referring to logging into your Samsung account?

Because Secure folder has a Reset password/forgot password button right on the front screen of Secure Folder, I think it just sends a reset link to your email. That's it. So if someone has access to your email, they can unlock your secure folder with a simple email.

Especially worrying for people in other countries, government seizes your device, gets a court order for your email or Samsung account, and they can unlock your phone. Seems to defeat the purpose of being an encrypted private super vault.

I think where as Apple, they have no way to unlock an iphone even if ordered to, as long as those reset features are turned off by the user.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So if someone has access to your email, they can unlock your secure folder with a simple email.

If someone has access to your email, you have bigger problems than simply having your secure folder unlocked.

Personally, I think a secure folder is rather redundant. A lock screen on your phone is sufficient, as it locks everything already. That can't be bypassed on current phones due to factory reset protection.

Pcrcol

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
If someone has access to your email, you have bigger problems than simply having your secure folder unlocked.

Personally, I think a secure folder is rather redundant. A lock screen on your phone is sufficient, as it locks everything already. That can't be bypassed on current phones due to factory reset protection.

Well that's the thing, even email aside, samsung can just give access to your samsung account if ordered to by a government agency.

It doesnt matter how strong your passwords are or 2FA, etc... To me it's just a major flaw, that the password can be reset, bypassing everything. Defeats the whole purpose.

The regular lock screen can be disabled too with the samsung account attached. Which is why I dont have a samsung account attached right now. It gives too much control over the phone.

But yeah, I agree it seems redundant.
I just thought it would be nice to have incase your phone was snatched while your using it. Or if someone knows your passcode, but the secure folder has a different passcode.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well that's the thing, even email aside, samsung can just give access to your samsung account if ordered to by a government agency.

Not if you don't have a Samsung account.

And if you really want someone secure, look at something like an encrypted zip archive (I recently heard 7 Zip does this well) that can be 100% stand alone.

Pcrcol

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Not if you don't have a Samsung account.

And if you really want someone secure, look at something like an encrypted zip archive (I recently heard 7 Zip does this well) that can be 100% stand alone.

Exactly, thats why I dont have one attached. But was hoping theres a way to turn off the reset features, apparently not..... 8(

Thanks, Ill take a look at 7 Zip.