Can I download an app onto a non-service provider connected Android HTC

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I bought a quadcopter drone that I can download an app for but I don't want to tie up my existing service-provider-connected cell phone to use with this new toy drone.

I've had an old Android HTC cell phone sitting in my storage closet for some time and I'd like to make it my dedicated monitor to relay the images being observed by the onboard camera on my drone.

I'd like to know if I can use the onboard wifi feature of this non-service-provider-connected Android HTC cell phone to download the necessary app to use as a secondary controller for this drone and to allow the non-service-connected Android to be the dedicated live-feed display monitor. Hope that makes sense.

I'm basically tech-retarded when it comes to this kind of thing but even so, my tech-retarded mind says it may be doable. I thought I'd ask some of you Android Gurus for some insight. If possible I'd like to also turn off or remove all other apps or widgets in this old Android cell phone since it will be solely used as a live video image monitor for my drone with a wifi connection to the drone camera itself.

Can any of you offer up some insights. I found no one else doing this so either it's not doable or perhaps no one has ever thought of doing this until now.

I'll look for your replies and suggestions. If you know of a video tutorial on how to do this please let me know.

Tim M.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There shouldn't be anything preventing you from doing that. Just connect the old phone to your wi-fi network and download the app from the Play Store that way (assuming the app is compatible with the old phone). As long as the drone app doesn't require a cell connection for some reason, it should work fine.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelcrook