Can I Install Google Play Services APK on SD?

A

AC Question

As per usual Google Play Services Won't Update with 150 MB Space on the phone because it can't download. SD has 13G of space with which to permanently resolve this issue. I can't upgrade my phone anytime soon. I can't use a critical app (completely disabled after updating) until I update that ****er G.P.S. I have already moved all the moveable apps. Phone is unrooted and no plans to root. Is there a once and for all solution to this problem? I downloaded the apk to my SD but am afraid if I install it (replacing native app) it will delete my uninstall update option and potentially all my personal data and/or screw up my only phone.

Exact Warning Popup says:

Replace application

This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it? All previous user data will be saved.

Cancel or OK.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As per usual Google Play Services Won't Update with 150 MB Space on the phone because it can't download. SD has 13G of space with which to permanently resolve this issue. I can't upgrade my phone anytime soon. I can't use a critical app (completely disabled after updating) until I update that ****er G.P.S. I have already moved all the moveable apps. Phone is unrooted and no plans to root. Is there a once and for all solution to this problem? I downloaded the apk to my SD but am afraid if I install it (replacing native app) it will delete my uninstall update option and potentially all my personal data and/or screw up my only phone.

Exact Warning Popup says:

Replace application

This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it? All previous user data will be saved.

Cancel or OK.
Welcome to Android Central!

Unfortunately it is just going to install on the internal storage. Unless you are rooted you won't be able to move system apps to SD. Even then you wouldn't want to move that app to SD.

Sammy345

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
There is space to install And should be space to download. File is only 40 MB. If I overwrite the file will that be bad/ lose data?

Also the default storage is SD card.

Sammy345

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
OK installing this time after I transferred 21 pictures that were not already on the SD. But this is a recurring problem with this pair of apps. Much of these updates are entirely unnecessary for most purposes.