Can I put KitKat on a Galaxy Tab S2?

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought a new Galaxy Tab S2 8" to replace my Tab4 7". While the screen and aspect ratio is better, I'm finding that I liked KitKat a lot more as an OS. The WiFi in Lollipop isn't nearly as good. Using the two tablets in the exact same place, KitKat got 4/4 bars while Lollipop only gets 3/4. Even at 3/4 bars connecting is spotty at best. Also, those infernal notifications about "optimizing" my apps. I've gone as far as turning the optimizing off to get rid of the constant reminder that it's optimizing and guess what... even off I get notifications that it's optimizing. What the hell is that about? I feel like KitKat was XP, fast, solid and reliable and Lollipop is like Vista... a bold new look to hide the fact that everything is worse. Unfortunately I sold my Tab4, so is there a way to put KitKat on my S2 until I can see if Marshmallow makes things right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately unless someone develops the KitKat ROM for the specific tablet, you can't. And since this tablet shipped with Lollipop, I doubt anyone has retro-fitted it for KitKat (it's usually going for a newer OS that's what devs do).

As for the WiFi, that might not be entirely the OS's fault. WiFi radios are different, and it's possible that the S2 just has a different range than the Tab 4 (you do have an all-metal chasis on the newer one, after all).

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.

I saw online that people were bemoaning both the S2 and Lollipop for the WiFi quality, among other things. I'm hoping that the OS is responsible for the reduced WiFi quality, and not that they used inferior parts in a superior tablet (although that HAS become the rule of thumb in today's society), because at least that way a new OS could solve the problem.

Now... how do I go about shutting off those maddening "optimizing" notifications? Remember... turning off optimizing didn't work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why those are still showing up for you, tbh. I turned off the App Optimization in mine and they went away (but I have a first gen Tab S, not the S2). You can try long-pressing the notification, and IF it takes you to the app info page, you could disable notifications for that app entirely (on the Tab S and the Note 5 this doesn't work as there is no specific app it takes you to... just a system notification).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hapily02