Can I swap my AT&T unlimited data sim from my phone to a Gear S?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting the Gear S but I have a few questions. I'm on AT&T and haven't seen anyone mention this.

Can I swap out my sim from my Note 4 into the Gear S and use it as a stand alone device?
If not, can I get an unlocked version of the Gear S so that I can use any prepaid sim from any provider?

I just want to use the watch for those times I don't want to carry a phone with me like going to the gym or riding my bike.

TIA

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting the Gear S but I have a few questions. I'm on AT&T and haven't seen anyone mention this.

Can I swap out my sim from my Note 4 into the Gear S and use it as a stand alone device?
If not, can I get an unlocked version of the Gear S so that I can use any prepaid sim from any provider?

I just want to use the watch for those times I don't want to carry a phone with me like going to the gym or riding my bike.

TIA

From what I have been told, it is possible, but the card may be locked. I think the best thing to do is ask the carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most likely, att would require you to have a specific plan. A smartphone plan probably won't work. You can try but they might change plans on you or lock the sim. Happened to a friend who had a basic phone and stuck in a smartphone sim. They immediately forced a data plan on her.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

TIA

The Gear S uses a NANO SIM, not the same size as the regular SIM used in your phone. Unless your Gear is different from mine, it won't fit.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The Gear S uses a NANO SIM, not the same size as the regular SIM used in your phone. Unless your Gear is different from mine, it won't fit.

I have a nano sim as I've been using it in my iPhone 6. When I need to use it on my Note 4 I use an adapter.
I have unlimited data so I don't think I would risk loosing that plan.
Guess I should check with AT&T tomorrow.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a nano sim as I've been using it in my iPhone 6. When I need to use it on my Note 4 I use an adapter.
I have unlimited data so I don't think I would risk loosing that plan.
Guess I should check with AT&T tomorrow.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't risk it. And I'm sure AT&T is gonna want to put you on a separate plan.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I swap my AT&T unlimited data sim from my phone to a Gear S?

Yea don't swap it they can take the unlimited away from you because of that. They have a standalone plan for $30. I paid outright so I can unlock it to use T-Mobile's wearable plan for $15 a month.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You can swap without problems. No, you won't risk anything. I do that all the time with or with the unlimited data. SIM cards are made for this purpose. AT&T could care less about where you insert the SIM card in as long as you already paid Smartphone data.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

You can swap without problems. No, you won't risk anything. I do that all the time with or with the unlimited data. SIM cards are made for this purpose. AT&T could care less about where you insert the SIM card in as long as you already paid Smartphone data.

That's not true, for AT&T the Gear S has to be on a data share smart plan. We all know you can physically swap the SIM and use adapters. The point is, the fact that they no longer offer unlimited data she could jeopardize loosing it. And if they didn't care about how we use our unlimited data they wouldn't throttle people's accounts. They are looking for ways to get people to switch from their grandfathered plans. I would NOT take that chance.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That's not true, for AT&T the Gear S has to be on a data share smart plan. We all know you can physically swap the SIM and use adapters. The point is, the fact that they no longer offer unlimited data she could jeopardize loosing it. And if they didn't care about how we use our unlimited data they wouldn't throttle people's accounts. They are looking for ways to get people to switch from their grandfathered plans. I would NOT take that chance.

Trust me, you will not loss your unlimited data if you swap to different phones. I used non-AT&T phones for years on my unlimited data plan. Gear S is just another smartphone to AT&T. No difference. Gear S don't have to be on any specific plan. I swapped with my main phone SIM card for a while.

The only time you loss unlimited data plan is you try to update your plan. Or you bought a phone from 3rd party retailer who have no way to activate your contract without losing the unlimited data plan. Even that can be recovered by a simple phone call to AT&T.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Trust me, you will not loss your unlimited data if you swap to different phones. I used non-AT&T phones for years on my unlimited data plan. Gear S is just another smartphone to AT&T. No difference. Gear S don't have to be on any specific plan. I swapped with my main phone SIM card for a while.

The only time you loss unlimited data plan is you try to update your plan. Or you bought a phone from 3rd party retailer who have no way to activate your contract without losing the unlimited data plan. Even that can be recovered by a simple phone call to AT&T.
Interesting. I wasn't sure how att classified it. As long as it is considered the same type of device then no problem. But for example moving an unlimited smartphone sim to a tablet could cause issues on att.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

I know you can use different smart phones and not loose your unlimited data. I switched between an iPhone and a Galaxy Note with no issues. Even though you and I consider the Gear S just as a smartphone. For the sake of their plans, AT&T classifies it a little different just enough so you have to use their dumb plans.

It's set up that the Gear S has to use the mobile data SHARE plan on AT&T.

Yes, you could swap it and not get caught but then you could get caught. Just like you are not supposed to tether on an unlimited plan. Do people do it without getting caught, yes. But it's not worth it to me to risk loosing my unlimited data plan.

That's my main point, it can be done but is it worth it to you!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

NO, other way around. You get caught for using a Smartphone with a dumb phone plan because that was cheaper. You won't get caught for using a dumb phone on smartphone plan. For all intends and purposes, AT&T considers Gear S as a phone. You won't get caught for use it with a more expensive plans. You get caught on tethering because tethering plans costs more and don't have unlimited.

All your fears are baseless. I know that's what AT&T wants you to believe. When I uses a non-AT&T phones with my unlimited plan, AT&T's own system thought I was using some unknown dumb phone. No problems there. And no, you don't have to use Share plan on AT&T with Gear S at all. That's a privilege only for those already on AT&T. If you're currently not an AT&T customer, you need to pay for a regular smartphone plan for Gear S which is easily $50+/mo.

ksl73

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why somebody try to stick AT&T's unlimited data plan.
Data speed will be lower to 2G once data hits more than 3GB. You cannot surf internet at all due to very very slow speed.
I used to have unlimited data plan but ... it is not unlimited data plan more..

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why somebody try to stick AT&T's unlimited data plan.
Data speed will be lower to 2G once data hits more than 3GB. You cannot surf internet at all due to very very slow speed.
I used to have unlimited data plan but ... it is not unlimited data plan more..

It is unlimited but you have people that didn't have any internet at all and they use it 100% more than the average person. I can use 5gb and not get throttled and that's good enough for me.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

You can't buy it unlocked, but your can have it unlocked after purchase.
I would EITHER WAY recommend that you ask for an unlock code for your watch if you end up buying one, whether you decide to swap out your current sim card or not.
As an ATT customer, you should get the unlock code for free within 5 business days, as long as you buy it up front. If you ever want to switch from ATT, having the Gear S unlocked will allow you to move on easily. I got mine unlocked by ATT to use with Tmo.

For what it's worth. I'd recommend you do the same with all your phones that are already paid off. Nothing to lose, much to win from the fredom.

And, BTW, did you hear that ATT will now throttle grandafthered unlimited plans after 5GB? I have a grandfathered iPad plan which will be affected as well, I think. :(

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It has always being 5GB and then throttle. I got that once and after that I realized how useless is the unlimited data plan. Can't be happier now rocking 15GB shared data plan. I can tether and share for all 15GBs. Not to mentioned it is cheaper for the entire family.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
It has always being 5GB and then throttle. I got that once and after that I realized how useless is the unlimited data plan. Can't be happier now rocking 15GB shared data plan. I can tether and share for all 15GBs. Not to mentioned it is cheaper for the entire family.

I've never gone over 4GB per month so I have never been throttled.
I remember reading something about the FCC or was it Congress submitting a formal complaint or lawsuit about AT&T throttling unlimited data users. I am hoping it will change AT&T's evil ways (at least I'm hoping it will) :)

I looked into the Share Data plans and for my situation, it would actually be more per month so I'm not eager to change at this time.
Plus my data usage is on the low side.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It has always being 5GB and then throttle.
Not the case with the original iPad plans that were sold for the first three (?) months after the the iPad 1 was introduced.

I remember reading something about the FCC or was it Congress submitting a formal complaint or lawsuit about AT&T throttling unlimited data users. I am hoping it will change AT&T's evil ways (at least I'm hoping it will) :)
You and I both!