Can I use an old Verizon HTC One on Wi-Fi without activating the SIM card?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi,

We finally replaced my wife's old HTC One with a Pixel 2. Both were bought online from Verizon. We followed the Pixel's instructions to connect the two phones to copy data, etc, which then activated the Pixel.

I'm trying to use the old HTC One as a Wi-Fi device, but after performing a factory reset, it tells me it is activating the SIM card for her phone number. Is there a way to prevent that? If not, will this cause issues with her new phone if I continue the setup?

I've seen posts about pressing all four corners of the screen at the language selection, but touching the bottom-right clicks 'Next' for language selection and clicking anywhere on the bottom clicks 'Next' on the following screen which starts the activation process.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

We finally replaced my wife's old HTC One with a Pixel 2. Both were bought online from Verizon. We followed the Pixel's instructions to connect the two phones to copy data, etc, which then activated the Pixel.

I'm trying to use the old HTC One as a Wi-Fi device, but after performing a factory reset, it tells me it is activating the SIM card for her phone number. Is there a way to prevent that? If not, will this cause issues with her new phone if I continue the setup?

I've seen posts about pressing all four corners of the screen at the language selection, but touching the bottom-right clicks 'Next' for language selection and clicking anywhere on the bottom clicks 'Next' on the following screen which starts the activation process.

Thanks for your help!

You might try activating with the sim from the Pixel and removing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy