Can I use Simple Gallery Pro instead of my default LG gallery app?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My default Gallery app is using a TON of storage. I installed Simple Gallery Pro as my default. Do I have to keep all my photos in my phone's gallery app or can I delete them? I did a test folder of some selfies in my phone gallery and when i deleted them they disappeared from my Simple Gallery too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just to be clear, your photos aren't "stored" IN the Gallery app -- the Gallery app simply acts as a way to view the photos that are stored on your device. You could try clearing the app cache/data from the Gallery app in Settings>Apps, then open it again and wait a few seconds for the gallery database to rebuild. Now see if it still takes up that much space.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So if I clear the data, etc., it won't delete all the photos in my Gallery or "mess them up"?

It will not do that, no. As B. Diddy says above, the photos are not in the Gallery app: the Gallery allows you to view them.
Similarly, objects viewed through binoculars do not cease to exist or change in any way because you clean the lenses or change to a different pair.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My photos are backed up in Google Photos. But they aren't in the nice, neat album format that my Gallery uses and it's a lot easier to find photos on my Gallery app.

Google Photos does albums differently. Since the photos are in the cloud, you have to create your own albums within Google Photos -- these could be called "virtual" albums, since they don't depend on a physical folder or directory on the phone's storage. The nice thing about albums in Google Photos is that one photo can be in as many albums as you like without having to duplicate it. On a phone's gallery app, if you wanted a photo to be in multiple albums, you'd have to copy that photo file to each storage directory that represents an album.

See this help page: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128849?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android