Can my IT Department detect my smartphone platform?

acwyau

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My company officially only supports Blackberry and iphones on our corporate network. However, the email is a standard 2003 Exchange setup with Activesync. I recently got a Samsung Captivate and it works fine with our email setup. However, I got an email from our admin explicitly stating that no unauthorized devices are allowed on the network and would be banned. Can they even tell what device I'm using? Or are they just using scare tactics to keep Android/WP devices off the network? I don't want to give up my Captivate for an iPhone, so any insight would be appreciated.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they can tell. Our company does not use ActiveSync, mainly for the reason you outline here. Anyone can connect to it. Of course, there are ways to prevent this, but we use Blackberry and the Good for Enterprise products for this reason.

(It's not that we hate any particular phone, or anything. It's simply that we have limited man power, and if we're expected to support mobile Email, we need to be able to control the platform.)

Most likely, there's a platform ID string in the connection from your phone to the server. So yes, they can tell what devices are connecting. If you know your admins, you might be able to work a deal to keep your phone ;)

As an example of a "connection string", this website shows you what your web browser reports to the server everytime you load a web page: Browser Identification

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pagrey