Can someone point out the benifit's of rooting my phone?

wopfdog54

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it really worth rooting from my 2.1 version?

What are the benifits?

Also, which version offers the most stability for features

Thanks for your time

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Kind of a loaded question.

I haven't run the new build that is just rolling out right now, but the stock Eris software has a reputation for running very slowly at various things. When the caller log grows large, for example, dialing and answering the phone seems to take a long time. A large text message store will make the Eris laggy as well, and when the number of messages grows too large, it takes forever to delete them. These problems are mitigated with a good root ROM.

The Eris ships with a number of pre-loaded third party apps - Amazon MP3 Store, Visual Voice Mail, probably others that I am forgetting - that you cannot uninstall. There are also a number of proprietary HTC apps, like Footprints and Peep, that you cannot remove. Rooting the phone allows you to remove these apps.

The Eris's processor runs at 528 MHz. It is capable of running faster, and it is also capable of running slower when the phone is idle, using less power and leading to some better battery life.

There are a number of third party apps that give you some more power to do things when you are rooted that you cannot do when you are running stock. MyBackup Pro and Titanium Backup allow you to fully backup and restore your apps and data, as well as restore the market links so that the apps will continue to receive market updates - these features require root. There are a few root apps that let you delete app cache files in order to save storage space, if storage space is a problem.

As for ROMs that are very stable and full-featured, I can strongly recommend:

2.1 based:

- xtrSENSE - it looks and runs just like stock, but with root features, overclocking, and a lot more storage space for apps and data. [ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers

xtrROM - similar to stock and xtrSENSE, but without the Sense launcher and with a few non-HTC apps, like the vanilla Android keyboard. Very fast, very light, very stable. [ROM][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011] - xda-developers

Froyo/2.2 ROMS:

there are no Sense based Froyo ROMs that are stable and full-featured.

My favorite Froyo ROM is CELB Froyo. It's only issue is that a GPS signal will be lost by any app after about 30 minutes or so, so if you use Navigation, you may want to use another app. [ROM][GPL] CELB Froyo 4.3(Plain CM Rom)1-21-11 - xda-developers

Gingerbread/2.3 ROMs:

Again, there is nothing with Sense yet.

A very stable ROM is GSB. It does not have the GPS issue that CELB Froyo does. The only bug that I know of is that if you double-tap while in the camera to try to focus, the camera app will force close. The camera app works perfectly otherwise. [ROM][3/5/2011] GSB v1.9 | GingerBread 2.3.3 [CM7.0.0 RC1 NIGHTLY] - xda-developers

The Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs give me much better battery life, all things being equal - probably about 10% better than the xtr ROMs - and the xtr ROMs are about 10% to 25% better than stock, as I recall from running stock.

You can read a lot more about these ROMs at those links, including installation instructions after you have rooted the phone. To me, the best and most well-documented procedure for rooting the phone and installing one of these custom ROMs is here: Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

gruss

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Root and throw xTr Rom or maybe that one above and you would think you have a new phone. Not gonna break any quadrant records but the phone just feels so much better.

sent from my phone

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I had run out of memory for apps on my stock 2.1 and was seriously thinking about paying full price for a TB or Incredible2 (can't upgrade for a while).
Yesterday, I flashed xtrSense on my phone and now it's faster, smoother, and has lots of room for apps. Very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moshetv10