Can the Google Home Play Music While Not Connected to the Internet?

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
All,

Normally I'd research this myself, but I'm short on time. I'm having a very small wedding, on Valentines Day, at my in-laws club house at their condo association. We're trying to figure out what we're going to do for music and I would like to stream music from my phone using Google Play to my Google Home.

The club house does not have a wifi network so I was wondering if it was possible to cast music from my phone to the offline Google Home.

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hm -- From what I know that can't be done since it fully runs off wifi versus linking up (like bluetooth). You could try using your hotspot (if possible by your plan) to hotspot the speaker to that.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Hm -- From what I know that can't be done since it fully runs off wifi versus linking up (like bluetooth). You could try using your hotspot (if possible by your plan) to hotspot the speaker to that.
Thanks for the response! I never put too much thought on how casting really works, but from what I've been reading your phone will send the casting command to the device (GH, Chromecast, etc) and the cast device will stream independently on its wifi connection.

Initially, I had thought the GH and phone had their own little PAN network. Being that I have such a tight timeframe, it would be much safer to secure a stero and old school connect the phone with an audio cable.

Thanks again!