Can the steam from the shower harm my phone?

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I usually have my phone on the sink so I can listen to music or Howard Stern while I shower. My moms boyfriend claims the steam from the shower can ruin my phone and/or my battery. Any truth to this?

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps. The rapid temperature change from the hot bathroom to let's say out side in the winter or a cold air conditioned room would concern me more. The potential for condensstion inside the phone would be present. So is he right, probably.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Since its not water proof, the warm moist air in an inclosed space will seep in. Over time it will cause damage.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I usually have my phone on the sink so I can listen to music or Howard Stern while I shower. My moms boyfriend claims the steam from the shower can ruin my phone and/or my battery. Any truth to this?

This could happen. With the size of the water droplet in the air from the steam could very easily get into the small places on the phone. Just think of this; with the moisture that clings on your mirror and walls is very well happening to your phone. Not as much because it is just under where the steam hovers, but as it cools it will drop.

Now I don't think it is a very coming thing as I have never kept up to date with the issue but I can see it happening.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
lol....

ok.. yes.. it is possible.. true. moisture in air ..
can get in the phone.. and condense back to water...
and fry the phone. or the least, it can damage the water mark stickers!

but this is highly ... hard to do.

because of normal use in all weathers around the globe.
from cold rooms to hot areas
from humid hot to cold areas
from rainy days to warm fires
from rainy days to cold areas

these phones and all phones... have to be designed to work in all major cities.

and a lot of them are way more moisture hostile to your phone than being in a bathroom!

if you love to take long showers with extremely hot water in the middle of winter... then you might not want to take the phone in there with you.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hook up your phone via 3.5mm jacks to some speakers in there and set your evo close to the cool, dry floor as the steam/heat will stay at the top.

Just a thought if your worried about it, yet want some shock jock at the same time :p

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hook up your phone via 3.5mm jacks to some speakers in there and set your evo close to the cool, dry floor as the steam/heat will stay at the top.

Just a thought if your worried about it, yet want some shock jock at the same time :p

yeah.. that is a good idea.. i should have said that!
and turn on the fan.

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I think what is more likely to happen (not saying actual water damage is not going to occur, depending on your ventilation and humidity in the air) is that the water damage sticker inside the phone will display water damage from the humidity condensing on the device, thus your warranty is void for future claims.

anon(49767)

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
A sprint rep told me last week that the steam in the shower situation is definitely something they are seeing as a cause of the problems with the phone.

Last edited:

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
How about turning on the fan and not using up all the hot water! Other people have to take showers in this house too! (The Dad in me just had to come out :D)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually finally convinced my roommate to stop doing that because of the water damage markers. I just hate seeing any of our little guys being put into a potentially harmful situation. :)

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if that's why my little "the phone got wet" indicator inside the battery compartment is pink, even though I've never gotten my phone wet.

Oops. Stupid hot showers.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just like going to the beach.

This is when a zip-lock bag will save you. I have iHome mini rechargeable speakers that work great and the phone stays in the bag, safe and sound. One little wire comes out at the top of the bag and the rest is zipped tight.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
the slightest moisture in the restroom will trip the strip inside the phone. it's not worth keeping the phone in the bathroom during a shower if means risking warranty.