Can you change this notification bar behavior?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
New phone, lots of questions, most of which I am figuring out myself ok. But here is another I cannot get figured out.

First a simple question: What is the icon shown at the red arrow at the top of photo one? It looks like an "N" but what would that be for? Maybe something saying I am using Nova Launcher? Just can't find anywhere what that icon is.

Now the main question:

When I get notifications on my top status bar and then drag it down to read them, the notifications are partially hidden within a dropdown option. See attached photo #1. I have to open the notification all the way or tap the dropdown symbol to see more of the notification and the options for responding. (as shown in photo #2). On an email or text this also means when I look at the notification, I have to do the 2nd step in order to see a summary of some of the text. On my old Pixel 2, I did not need to do this. The notifications were always displayed from the start as in photo 2 so I could tell at a glance what they all said. This also is an issue with front door camera notifications. Now they show as in photo 3 below whereas on my Pixel they always started out as shown in photo 4. Now I always have to open or dropdown the camera notification to see the image.

This may not seem like a big deal on just one notification. But when I have 5 or 6 notifications it is an annoyance. Before, I could see enough of all 6 notifications to be able to just clear the whole list for later with one step to pull down the notification bar and a 2nd step to dismiss them all. Now with 6 notifications, I need to open all six of them one at a time to know if I can dismiss them. So with 6 notifications on my Pixel there were 2 steps needed. On my S22 with six notifications, there are at least 7 steps needed to do the same thing.

How can I set my S22 Ultra to show these notifications dropped down right from the start?

Notification dropdown 1.png

Notification dropdown 2.png

Notification dropdown 3.png

Notification dropdown 4.jpg

Attachments

• Notification dropdown.png
    Notification dropdown.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Notification dropdown 2.png
    Notification dropdown 2.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 29

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The "N" means NFC is on.

I don't think you can set notifications to be expanded by default...

Hmm. Interesting. Maybe no more. That would explain why I have spent so much time trying without success to do it. I wonder why a lot of them were expanded by default on my old Pixel. Here is a screenshot of what the front door camera notification looks like by default on my Pixel 2xl, (I did not open the dropdown). Expanded right from the start. Maybe that is a Google vs. Samsung difference? I figured it had to be controlled by a setting.

Notification dropdown 5.png

Tuxedogirl

Feb 21, 2022
Visit site
This will drive me crazy too, as my current phone does expanded notifications and ability to reply without opening drop down also. I thought I saw some video where there were at least options to set how many lines show on the notifications and my assumption was it could be fully expanded. But without my phone yet, can look around to see. If I can find thT specific video I will share.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Do you have suggest actions and reply for notifications toggle on ? In setting >notifications >advanced Screenshot_20220303-221808_Settings.jpg

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This will drive me crazy too, as my current phone does expanded notifications and ability to reply without opening drop down also. I thought I saw some video where there were at least options to set how many lines show on the notifications and my assumption was it could be fully expanded. But without my phone yet, can look around to see. If I can find thT specific video I will share.

I hope somebody can find that as I thought I remembered reading the same when I was researching phones. But I can not find the setting now. If my old Pixel 2XL can do it and your phone can do it, there must be a way. Guess it is just well hidden in the settings somewhere. What model was your old phone?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you have suggest actions and reply for notifications toggle on ? In setting >notifications >advanced

Yes I do. Are you implying that your S22 does the expanded notifications? If it does that proves it is possible at least! Then just where to switch it on.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I tap on the little arrow to expand a notification

I did not have to do that with my old Google phone and was wanting not to with the S22. Tuxedogirl just above did not either, although it is not clear yet what her old phone was.

I agree that doing so is not an issue when there are only one or two notifications. But sometimes I have a long list by the time I check and as I summarized in my OP, then it can be a huge difference in time to deal with them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084