Can you have too many SMS on your phone? How to manage?

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I am wondering if having a large amount of SMS will slow down phone and how one would go about managing message amount yearly? I ask this as I am about to a move to a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ from a Note 9 with 68000k messages. I know that's a lot. How can one periodically backup old messages and have the ability to view them on another device (PC or not). Almost like if I remember texting someone from a long time ago, and want to look them up

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Having a ton of saved messages on the phone shouldn't slow things down per se, but it can take up storage, which can be problematic if the phone's storage is starting to get full. All stock messaging apps (and I assume 3rd party ones as well) should have an option in the settings menu to automatically delete older messages if storage is getting low.

Google's backup feature will backup SMS messages to Google Drive, but not MMS. The backups aren't in a format that you can read independently -- you'd have to restore the backup to a phone in order to restore those messages.

You can try 3rd party backup apps like SMS Backup & Restore.

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Having a ton of saved messages on the phone shouldn't slow things down per se, but it can take up storage, which can be problematic if the phone's storage is starting to get full. All stock messaging apps (and I assume 3rd party ones as well) should have an option in the settings menu to automatically delete older messages if storage is getting low.

Google's backup feature will backup SMS messages to Google Drive, but not MMS. The backups aren't in a format that you can read independently -- you'd have to restore the backup to a phone in order to restore those messages.

You can try 3rd party backup apps like SMS Backup & Restore.

Hi my Note 9 has plenty of storage left. It's just that it's been acting slow and sluggish, so I figured that it might be because of SMS? But Yeah I want to archive my messages and restore if I want to view older ones for whatever reason.

I thought a lot of them would make things slow but it sounds like that's not what's plaguing my Note 9?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi my Note 9 has plenty of storage left. It's just that it's been acting slow and sluggish, so I figured that it might be because of SMS? But Yeah I want to archive my messages and restore if I want to view older ones for whatever reason.

I thought a lot of them would make things slow but it sounds like that's not what's plaguing my Note 9?
Do you use optimized in device care ?
Also try safe mode see any 3rd party apps causing this.
For keeping old messages you can make backup in smart switch on pc and restore them at any time to the phone.

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Do you use optimized in device care ?
Also try safe mode see any 3rd party apps causing this.
For keeping old messages you can make backup in smart switch on pc and restore them at any time to the phone.

Ah a Samsung based app. I've always been reluctant with it when it comes to text messages. I figured it won't be able to save MMS last I checked.

Safe mode would mean only the basic apps right? I don't know how I would find out what's causing it. TBH i've never used safe mode

AS for Optimized. I run it every now and then. I didn't think it was a permanent mode except for the Battery settings

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Safe mode would mean only the basic apps right? I don't know how I would find out what's causing it. TBH i've never used safe mode

Unfortunately, that's what sometimes has to be done to identify a problem app. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then reboot normally, and start uninstalling apps until the sluggishness goes away. The last app you uninstalled is likely the culprit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ah a Samsung based app. I've always been reluctant with it when it comes to text messages. I figured it won't be able to save MMS last I checked.

AS for Optimized. I run it every now and then. I didn't think it was a permanent mode except for the Battery settings
Yeah Samsung smart switch on pc can make lot of back.ups and later restore.

Safe mode turns off 3rd party apps to see if any of them might be causing performance issues , monitor it in that mode if works good then suspect a 3rd party app as the cause.

Device care is a great built in tool to optimize your phone , should be setting in that app to schedule when to automatically optimize