Cannot hear or be heard on Bluetooth only when in a phone call

joeshmo101

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
My Pixel XL can connect to a Bluetooth device with no problems, but whenever I try to use ANY Bluetooth device for a phone call, I neither get audio in or out.

I know that the microphone connects ("OK Google" commands work from Android Auto) and I can hear all media that I play. However, when I answer or make a phone call, I cannot hear the other person and they cannot hear me. I have confirmed that all audio levels (calls, media, notifications, etc.) while connected to Bluetooth have been set to max and are not muted.

I am running Android 10 (QP1A.191005.007.A3) on an unlocked Pixel XL (1st Gen) with a Verizon SIM.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To find the setting mustang7757 is asking about, go to Settings>Bluetooth, then tap the gear icon next to the headset listing. There should be an option for Phone Audio or Phone Calls there -- make sure it's on.

joeshmo101

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
It's not disabled. I even tried that as a work-around to allow me to answer a call without having to manually switch from Bluetooth audio back to earpiece audio, but even *that* didn't work

I had no more than a few days where this worked as expected after getting the device. I think it started misbehaving when I had a weird Android Auto crash/disconnect, and it's been at least a year since then.

Bluetooth.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's not disabled. I even tried that as a work-around to allow me to answer a call without having to manually switch from Bluetooth audio back to earpiece audio, but even *that* didn't work

I had no more than a few days where this worked as expected after getting the device. I think it started misbehaving when I had a weird Android Auto crash/disconnect, and it's been at least a year since then.

View attachment 315972
Try clearing data cache and force stop AA

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it still persists, go to Google | Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices, download the ROM for your phone (the marlin December file), unzip the file, open the flash-all file (.bat for Windows, .sh for Mac or Linux) and change the line that starts with

fastboot -w update

to

fastboot update

(it's the last 'fastboot' line in the file). Then flash the ROM. You'll get a completely new ROM, but it won't overwrite any of your apps, files or data. (I do this about every 3rd or 4th update, to get a nice fresh ROM.)