Cannot play to a speaker group?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have two devices, a Nest Mini and a Nest Hub Max and I am considering adding additional devices. However...

I can "hey google play music..." or "hey google play [specific artist/track/etc]" to individual devices with no problem.

So, this morning I created a device "group" that includes both devices and named it "All speakers". At either one, I give the command "hey google play music on all speakers" or "hey google play [specific artist/track/etc] on all speakers" and it responds "Playing blah blah blah on all speakers"; the Nest Hub Max display even changes to the appropriate screen. But, nothing actually plays on either device.

If, instead, I open You Tube Music on my phone and tell it to cast to the All Speakers group it works fine.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting all your Google Home devices? Also try deleting the group and re-creating it. Not sure if the 'All Speakers' name might 'bork' Assistant (doesn't seem to be the case since it appears to at least recognize that it's a group it should be playing in), but just in case try naming it something different.

I know it works with Spotify, so maaaaaaybe YT is not bug-free when it comes to those commands?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Someone on Reddit said he had the same problem recently and he noticed that the music seemed to have been queued up but simply not started. So, he found that tapping the play button on the Hub Max or issuing the command "hey google play" would get it going.

I was going to give that a try this morning, but it worked properly the first time without any additional effort on my part. Maybe they fixed something since yesterday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell