Can't Get Updates

NoMod

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Like many others, I cannot update my Galaxy S4. Somehow, it thinks it's been modified and software updates are not available.The device status shows "Custom".

It's a company phone. The phone was delivered new, not used. I have never rooted the thing. I never did, and do not plan to. I have installed a bunch of apps, all from Google Play. The most exotic thing I did to it was to install "Airwatch" to comply with my company's security policy. But deactivating that did not improve things.
I want to update because I am told that a bug has been fixed with the update. (It's a known issue that corrupts the filenames of music files on the SD card.) I also want to be able to update to Kit Kat 4.3 when it's released. But with device status "custom" and that "software updates not available", I have hit a dead end. I have read many threads with suggestions that have either not worked (e.g., unmount SD card; pull battery; reboot), or address consequences of rooting the phone, not relevant in my case.
There must be a simple solution.
So I am looking for one of two things:

I would like to know exactly what my phone thinks is custom. That might help me find and remove whatever is causing the issue.

Or, I could reset to factory specs and start over, if that would even help. But to do that, I would like to back up my phone to be able to restore it later. But I am not sure how to do that without complicating matters with 3rd party software. I prefer to keep things Google, if possible.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Like many others, I cannot update my Galaxy S4. Somehow, it thinks it's been modified and software updates are not available.The device status shows "Custom".

It's a company phone. The phone was delivered new, not used. I have never rooted the thing. I never did, and do not plan to. I have installed a bunch of apps, all from Google Play. The most exotic thing I did to it was to install "Airwatch" to comply with my company's security policy. But deactivating that did not improve things.
I want to update because I am told that a bug has been fixed with the update. (It's a known issue that corrupts the filenames of music files on the SD card.) I also want to be able to update to Kit Kat 4.3 when it's released. But with device status "custom" and that "software updates not available", I have hit a dead end. I have read many threads with suggestions that have either not worked (e.g., unmount SD card; pull battery; reboot), or address consequences of rooting the phone, not relevant in my case.
There must be a simple solution.
So I am looking for one of two things:

I would like to know exactly what my phone thinks is custom. That might help me find and remove whatever is causing the issue.

Or, I could reset to factory specs and start over, if that would even help. But to do that, I would like to back up my phone to be able to restore it later. But I am not sure how to do that without complicating matters with 3rd party software. I prefer to keep things Google, if possible.

Any suggestions?

Google has already implemented backing up everything, Including your data. Go to Settings > Accounts > google > (your email address) > then make sure everything is check marked and synced. (you will see everything in there. Including data)

Also the GPE phone straight from google should and will get the update. Kitkat 4.4 isnt released yet, And who knows, Maybe google halted the roll out to make ready for kitkat.
But I wouldnt worry about it yet. 4.3 isnt a big update. If you dont get the 4.4 update. I see that as an issue

Good luck with whatever you decide to do