Question Can't listen to videos with screen locked. How do I fix this?

Piekid52

Jul 5, 2023
Visit site
I have an old ZTE Blade, and I used to be able to use the media player on the lock screen to listen to videos while in chrome with no problems. However, last night I tried doing just that. I went to hit the play button, and it wanted me to unlock my phone to resume the video (it does this with other browsers so it's not just chrome) . It has never done that before, and I would like to find a solution to it. I have tried to find a solution for the problem, but could not find one.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I use the Black app for this kind of scenario. Instead of using the built in lock screen it simulates the screen off state. Also useful for free Youtube Music which forces you to keep it foregrounded to continue playing. Saves battery usage on having the screen lit up and stops accidental touches so safe to put in your pocket.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. Just a few questions first.

What media player are you trying to use?

Where are these videos from?

Anyway, we'll start with the player. Check to see if the player is in your sleeping or deep sleeping app list. If an app has been put to sleep it will only function when the screen is on and the app is in the foreground. So removing it from the sleeping or deep sleeping app list usually restores background function.

Anyway, I don't want to insult you by explaining this but while YouTube usually plays in the YT app it can play through a web browser and people often refer to it as a player rather than an app or just YT. This is true for the YT Music app as well. I say all of this to point out that YT requires a subscription to be able to play videos in the background at all anymore. No listening to anything unless the app is open and in the foreground.

If neither of those are your issue tell us what player and where the videos are from, internet, cloud, saved streaming... and we'll see if we can offer you better advice.

Piekid52

Jul 5, 2023
Visit site
I use the Black app for this kind of scenario. Instead of using the built in lock screen it simulates the screen off state. Also useful for free Youtube Music which forces you to keep it foregrounded to continue playing. Saves battery usage on having the screen lit up and stops accidental touches so safe to put in your pocket.
That did it, thank you. It took me a minute to find the Blackr app. I guess it autocorrected you.

Reactions: gomezz