Can't see Nexus 7 2013 as folder on computer

mickrg123

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything to get my Nexus to show as folder on laptop. Uninstalled and re installed drivers, shows up in device manager, shows as media to eject on task bar. Shows as folder when I check camera ptp but not as media device mtp. Usb debugging is checked.Any ideas?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
First try
Disable USB debugging
If that doesn't work, while still with USB debugging enabled, switch to PTP mode, go into devmgmt.msc, remove any devices that look related to Nexus 7, unplug/plug in nexus 7, go through the driver installation again (although google doesn't include the MTP drivers, they should be built into the OS, and sometimes reinstalling the Google drivers kickstarts the MTP process)

fstbusa

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Make sure under settings/storage, the button in the upper right, usb connections.

Mtp should be checked

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything to get my Nexus to show as folder on laptop. Uninstalled and re installed drivers, shows up in device manager, shows as media to eject on task bar. Shows as folder when I check camera ptp but not as media device mtp. Usb debugging is checked.Any ideas?
BTW I created a driver inf to fix the problem with MTP not being recognized when usb debugging is enabled (on the stock ROM).

You can find it here:
[FIX] MTP and usb debugging on windows - xda-developers

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How to start FRESH for solving USB problems

(I've only done this on windows 7)

Remove any 'driver' apps in control panel, for any Android Device. Samsung, Moto, whatever.

(I also do a registry cleaner here and reboot my computer at this point but I don't think it's needed. But a reboot here could only help going on to the next steps)

In device manager delete/uninstall anything that even smells like android. If prompted also uninstall software.

Under USB ( all the way at the bottom) remove anything with the vendor id of 18d1 or 04e8 (props to wugfresh for those id's).

Reboot computer

There is a guide on windows7.com about fixing general usb problems. It comes up pretty easily in a Google search. Follow the instructions, including doing it more than once if needed. Think of this like a registry cleaner for old USB connections. When you run through the guide you will see what I mean.

Once you have no more 'ghost' usb entries - plug in your device with usb debugging disabled and with USB in MTP mode. Windows should find and install the generic MTP drivers and recognize the device as a storage device.

If it doesn't work, leave it plugged in and switch to PTP mode. It should configure itself and open a folder for the camera. Now go back to USB mode and change it to MTP. (This last step worked for me a couple of days ago).

Now any more specific driver installations you need to do should work.

If still having problems this is where you should try another USB cable. There is no magic juju in the cable that came with your device so don't kick your dog if you can't find it, and don't figure out a way to get a replacement. An older cable from an old flip phone or GPS might have a different pin out. Typically a cable like this will only charge your device. Any cable that came with an Android device should work. Try to find one that plugs in with a snug fit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Keith Dean

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. I repeatedly uninstalled the driver but as soon as I plugged in the Nexus 7 it automatically installed a driver that did not work.( probably some Microsoft stock driver) So I disabled the Windows "automatically install drivers" and did a manual install of the driver from Google. It then worked fine.
Google USB Driver | Android Developers

RickyDSmith

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Was going mad trying to figure out why I couldn't access my Nexus 7 despite my computer seeing it and saying it was working fine. The solution Michal Kubacki posted worked a charm, so thank you very much for that, I can now access my Nexus 7 on my computer :D

donny1916

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Was going mad trying to figure out why I couldn't access my Nexus 7 despite my computer seeing it and saying it was working fine. The solution Michal Kubacki posted worked a charm, so thank you very much for that, I can now access my Nexus 7 on my computer :D

Same here - much thanks for the tip

NickGrant

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem, turned out simply that there was no tick the box under the Nexus 7 settings/storage then click the top 3 dots top RHS drop down and it says USB computer connection, select that and tick the box that says Media device (MTP) and immediately the computer see it.

paul walther

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
thank you. I could not find that menu with the MTP checkbox.. it was hidden under storage and then you had to touch the secret upper right hand corner of the screen to get it... wow. Man Google.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12