Captivate, Froyo and WiFi

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I've been following this site for a while but this is my first post. I've had my Captivate since ~August and am overall happy with the phone. It does what I need which fast enough for me to do it. Anyways, I updated my Captivate to 2.2 last night without any problems what so ever during the install process (kies, home screen, data, etc). Unfortunately my Wi-Fi is not connecting. I've tried turning off phone, removing battery, rebooting, verifying WEP password, forgetting my Wi-Fi, reconnecting to my Wi-Fi, re-entering WEP password (all from about 2 feet from the modem/router), kept the phone off all night (was late to work this morning b/c no alarm :( ), tried reconnecting this morning. My wife had a similar issue with her Inspire (I converter her from i*hone) but after going through the HTCsense.com it magically began working. I have several other devices that use my home Wi-Fi such as my Mac 2 floors up and other laptops and such. This was not an issue before the upgrade. Any suggestions? All other devices were connecting properly during this time, including the Windows laptop I was using Mini Kies with for the install. I was hoping it would somehow "resolve" itself by now but so far it hasnt. Suggestions? Anyone else have the same issue?

Last edited:

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried telling it to forget the network (under settings, wireless, tap and hold on your home network until the forget network popup option displays). Then shutdown the phone, then powerup, then try re-joining your network?

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
ive had simmilar issues
Try connecting to an open network then it should work
Or a wpa button one
Then it should work

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried forgetting the network several times and rebooted several times too. I'm going to try my mother in-laws network to see if it connects to hers like before or not. If it doesn't then i know its something with Wi-Fi and not just "my home" Wi-Fi.

@ Zguy: I have Verizon and dont think I have a WPA option.

jb17112

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Lomax,
I'm having exactly the same issue as you and tried the same things, without success. I even tried a hard reset. I tried D-Caf's suggestion without success. I haven't tried another router. I have a Linksys router.

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried connecting to another network - which worked but still no luck in my house for my router. I did a reboot on the router and phone several times - no luck. Finally did a factory reset on my phone which appeared to fix the problem. I selected "3G and WiFi" during phone set up. I thought I did that last time. Then I "connected to WiFi" which was my home network. I may not have done this when I first upgraded to 2.2 b/c I didn't want to use WiFi at that time. Who knew this would prevent me from being able to connect to my router later though? This seemed to work for me.

Last edited:

coldguy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Uverse?

I have been having wifi troubles with my captivate at home also. I had narrowed it to my Uverse gateway, since it also affected my HP laptop as well.

I would have periods where my captivate would have no internet connection, even though it was connected to wifi(uverse gateway). I would turn wifi off and 3g would give me internet access, wifi back on and connected, but no internet. I tried forgetting and reconnecting wifi - no luck. I tried using the WPA button, and that worked, but only for a while. Then my wife started complaining that the laptop kept losing connection. The same thing was happening - wifi connected but no internet. Sometimes I could log into the gateway, sometimes I couldn't. I checked my desktop connected to the gateway with ethernet, no problems, and my tvs all worked(the stb's are wired to the gateway with ethernet as well). I tried rebooting phone, gateway, laptop, nothing helped.

I thought the wifi was bad on the gateway, but two other laptops, two iphones and an ipod worked fine. The affected devices work fine on other wifi nets. I called uverse tech support(pointless, I know, but I was fishing for a new gateway) and they reset my gateway and changed the sessid and channel. It worked for a while, then started acting up again. I reset the gateway to factory defaults, no change. I'm still trying to get a new gateway.

Lately, the laptop hasn't had any problems, and the captivate has been so far, so good with 2.2. We shall see if it stays that way.

Nelimungous

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This is just total BS. I have uverse also and we have 3 cappys in the family. One has froyo and the other 2 don't wifi was working on the 2.2 device but the others are CONSTANTLY losing wifi connection and you have to jump through 90 flaming hoops to get it back and it only stays connected for 5 minutes. (wifi no longer stable on any of the caps...other notebooks, wii, etc are fine!!!!)

I have tried everything BUT a different router. I really believe its the phones!!!!

And now after the 2.2 upgrade on one the GPS no longer works!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ac4rumuser

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I had similar issues connecting to WiFi after Froyo upgrade. It actually looks like the issue is conflicting signals and that the phone is not able to pickup the signal from your router. Couple of things can be done - see if your router can broadcast on a different channel, see if you can disable/forget other visible networks, see if your router can be configured for a different security authentication (WEP to WAP etc.,)

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Update. The problem has come back but intermittently. I could not connect last night, forgot wifi, reconnected. Tried different remedies for about 20 mins, phone reboot, etc. Got fed up and went to bed. Got up this morning and wanted to give it the 'ol college try before I complain to Samsung or AT&T or someone. It worked, 2 levels up from my router. I figured it must be a fluke. Turned off, tried again, it worked. Turned off and tried again about 20 mins later on middle floor. Worked again. Im going to try the FXR fix when it happens again. I went to the Market and noticed (at the time) that the first 3 reviews are from Captivates. When it fails again, which it will, I update my results from the FXR app.

kb0npw

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been in the process of searching high and low online tonight because I'm fighting with this same nonsense since upgrading to Froyo. I did a factory reset a few days ago, and my wifi began working fine again. Tonight, it once again stopped working on the home network. I refuse to have to factory reset this stupid thing every 4 days.

The FXR app did not work for me. Neither does forgetting the network, rebooting, power cycling the router, etc etc.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeff