captive portals contains the URL links, which user can't be redirected to authentication

jldejesus

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Which version of OS are you using? ANDROID 10
- Android 10

What device are you using?
Android TABLET

What steps will reproduce the problem?

1) Unauthenticated client open "Sign-in to network" (system app)
2) Captive Portal is opened in "Sign-in to network" app
3) User is authenticated and should be redirected to the requested url from Captive Portal
4) "Sign-in to network" window dismiss after gaining internet access
5) Requested page should open the browser. This step is missing.

What is the expected output?
- Requested page from Captive Portal should be opened in the webview.

What do you see instead?
- "Sign-in to network" window dismiss after gaining internet access, requested url from Captive Portal isn’t opened in the webview android

overall captive portals contains the URL links, which user can be redirected to authentication process from webview android it's not working but the same behaviour it's wroking in default browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

jldejesus

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Captive portals login process

I work with 2 different Android tablets (Onn and Q2S) on a project at hotel chain locations. Both are on the same OS version. One allows me to log in to the hotel's captive portal from the wifi settings without opening the hotel's captive web portal, which works really well. The other doesn't and I have to fight with those tablets regularly to bring up the captive web portal to log in. Do you know why one brand of tablet is different from the other in this capability?

jldejesus

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Both are Android tablets. They both use Android 11.

On both tablets I go to Settins -> Connections -> Wifi, choose the hotel's SSID and connect to it. At that point, the ONN tablets give me an option to login to the wifi provider and their login portal comes up when I select it. It works 100% of the time. In contrast, the Q2S tablets do not give me an option to login to the wifi provider when I initially connect to it. I have to open the browser an attempt to connect to an Internet page to get re-directed to the captive portal page. It works as expected 50% of the time and it is a slow process with multiple re-directions. I have to try several times against different Internet sites before the portal successfully opens. Because I don't know the direct captive portal URL, it is often a painful trial an error process with different results between all the tablets. I would like to understand why the Q2S does give me the option the ONN does.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, are you the OP, or are you joining the conversation and have the same issue as the OP? (If you posted the original question, I can make you the post owner to make it easier to find.)

I've seen this issue as well, and I'm not sure why it happens. One issue I've noticed is that if you use a secure DNS other than "your current service provider" (in the Chrome browser settings, under Privacy and Security), like Google or Cloudflare, that can sometimes interfere with connecting to through a captive portal. So check that setting and make sure it's not set to "Choose another provider."

BTW, I merged your other thread into this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance