Cell signal woes due to bogus 'Power Save Mode'?

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had intermittent problems with sudden, short-term loss of cell signal since I got this phone, not location dependent. When it's happening I can't make or receive calls or texts. Usually goes away on its own, though sometimes it lingers - more than say, 30 seconds - and I toggle airplane mode to "reset"... something. Don't know what.

This evening I noticed the telltale no-signal indicator and opened the dialer to see if it was really hosed (sometimes it only LOOKS hosed, or has already fixed itself). Lo and behold I see something I hadn't noticed before: this message just above the dialer numbers:

Power Save Mode
Press number key to exit

NO IDEA why it was in such a state. I'd just finished downloading an app from Play Store, nothing unusual, and had almost 80% battery charge. I took the screenshot (below), exited the dialer, and-- problem disappeared.

Makes me wonder if this bizarre Power Save Mode is causing what appears to be signal loss. Any ideas on how to proceed, other than returning the phone?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Any ideas on how to proceed, other than returning the phone?

I don't have any ideas on this at the moment. But just returning it is far more extreme than at least first trying turning off Fast Boot and rebooting. If that doesn't work and you have no other suggestions or ideas- perform a factory reset/wipe and try it that way for a while.

Reactions: PhyscoAssassinX

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Trying, thanks. Speaking of same, don't know how to click 'thanks' from this phone browser view, so I'll have to wait until I'm back on the pc. :)

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I came across a thread here on the EVO LTEforums labeled "found hidden power menu" the O.P. had downloaded quick shortcut maker from the play store and while making shortcut did a search for power. There is a hidden power save menu in which had many of the options pre selected. I followed suit, grabbed the app from play store, made a quick search for power and created a shortcut to it. I deselected all of the options. These options are supposedly only to take place when the phone gets down below 20% battery. But since it was hidden and was having similar issues decided to uncheck the options. One daybisnt enough to fully test my theory, but I haven't had any of the issues today. Here's a screen cap so you can see.View attachment 28139

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I came across a thread here on the EVO LTEforums labeled "found hidden power menu" the O.P. had downloaded quick shortcut maker from the play store and while making shortcut did a search for power. There is a hidden power save menu in which had many of the options pre selected. I followed suit, grabbed the app from play store, made a quick search for power and created a shortcut to it. I deselected all of the options. These options are supposedly only to take place when the phone gets down below 20% battery. But since it was hidden and was having similar issues decided to uncheck the options. One daybisnt enough to fully test my theory, but I haven't had any of the issues today. Here's a screen cap so you can see.View attachment 28139

Keep us posted on this. I've found the hidden power menu as well with the "shorty" app , but not played with it yet

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Update...
Well, still was having signal loss at random times. Decided to try another route. HTC designed a function on the phone, a "feature" that puts wifi to sleep when the screen is off between midnight and seven a.m. I personally don't care for it since I'm usually up thru the night and on wifi. This created a problem since I would not get notified or essentially receive anything till a physically woke the phone. Well, one of the devs over on xda created an app to disable this (smartsync disabler). I downloaded it and tested it and it works on my phone. On the signal loss issue...I'm starting to believe that the towers near me just plain suck. Full bars and about .02-.3Mps download speed. So, probably the towers. My photon was doing the same just before I swapped phones. Several times a day while using it, it goes from full bars to nothing. No data and no signal strength what so ever.minor nuisances to me since there's enough buffered that Pandora still keeps playing without a hitch. Hopefully Sprint will provision our phones soon and allow us to use some LTE. Just hope the towers that have made my data slug like, are the very towers the have late enabled. I'm in the northwest corner of Fort Worth...so we shall see.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Update...
Well, still was having signal loss at random times. Decided to try another route. HTC designed a function on the phone, a "feature" that puts wifi to sleep when the screen is off between midnight and seven a.m. I personally don't care for it since I'm usually up thru the night and on wifi. This created a problem since I would not get notified or essentially receive anything till a physically woke the phone. Well, one of the devs over on xda created an app to disable this (smartsync disabler). I downloaded it and tested it and it works on my phone. On the signal loss issue...I'm starting to believe that the towers near me just plain suck. Full bars and about .02-.3Mps download speed. So, probably the towers. My photon was doing the same just before I swapped phones. Several times a day while using it, it goes from full bars to nothing. No data and no signal strength what so ever.minor nuisances to me since there's enough buffered that Pandora still keeps playing without a hitch. Hopefully Sprint will provision our phones soon and allow us to use some LTE. Just hope the towers that have made my data slug like, are the very towers the have late enabled. I'm in the northwest corner of Fort Worth...so we shall see.

Can you link the app you installed to get to the hidden power options? Could not find it with a search.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Also an app by myn or Derek Roberts called hiddensettings in playstore that is the same thing. It's a lot smaller app if u don't need the quick shortcut maker like me.

Reactions: bc2k

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have read the the "power save mode" is not supposed to kick in unless the battery gets below 20%, but I did turn off the "Put Data Connection to sleep" and also have off the "turn wi-fi off when not connected."

I know this is not scientific and it could be because of something else since did not do what I would consider a truly valid testing of it, but this appears to have really helped my problem of the LTE having problems going from wi-fi to mobile data to wi-fi that i was having. Before, I would often find after moving in and out (like from home wife to mobile data then to work wifi) I would have to manually reconnect to get data. Now that not happening.

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Try going to mobile connection settings and changing CDMA/LTE to just CDMA. My understanding is, that the phone keeps pinging LTE and sometimes cuts out.

rockyjay

May 16, 2010
Visit site
After calling Sprint and having them reset my Activation ( they give you some # # codes to type in) I have not had as many issues with losing data signals. You might want to give it a try. It goes further than just updating the PRL and Profile. The hardest part was waiting on hold. It's best to call from another phone, but they cal also give you the instructions and what to type in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582