Chance of getting Verizon to move up my annual upgrade date?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So I have the BlackBerry Tour, and I'm getting absolutely frustrated with the trackball. I really want to buy a Droid, but I don't want to pay full retail. My annual contract date is July 12th, so I can't get it at the subsidized price until then. Does anyone know if Verizon phone sales or someone in the store would be able to move forward my contract date so I could get the phone now at the subsidized price? I'm not asking for a multi-FRU or anything, and I'm willing to pay the 2-year price ($199 I believe). I just am so sick of this Tour and the trackball.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
I was in the same situation -- Blackberry 9630 Tour, disliked the trackball, and wanted the Droid. I called Verizon, pointed out how long I'd been a customer, how much I wanted to stay with Verizon for another 2 years, that I also had a dedicated broadband account for my laptop, but was 5 months from upgrade date. A little polite sweet-talking, a short wait while the rep spoke with a supervisor, and voil?! Rehearse your spiel, be polite (not demanding or whining), and see what you get.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I was in the same situation -- Blackberry 9630 Tour, disliked the trackball, and wanted the Droid. I called Verizon, pointed out how long I'd been a customer, how much I wanted to stay with Verizon for another 2 years, that I also had a dedicated broadband account for my laptop, but was 5 months from upgrade date. A little polite sweet-talking, a short wait while the rep spoke with a supervisor, and voil?! Rehearse your spiel, be polite (not demanding or whining), and see what you get.

That's awesome. Did they give you an resistance at first? Or was it pretty easy?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Your best bet would be to call Verizon and see if they will do it. We could say yes or no all day long, but they will handle something like this strictly on a case by case basis.

I think they will do it, but that is just me.

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Customer service in the wireless industry is beginning t be more and more like all other retail environments: they won't always be nice to you, but if you even MAY have been hosed on a situation or you're simply persistent, they'll get a supervisor and okay throwing a product or credit at you to keep you happy. It's just like the return counter at a WalMart or Target. Honestly, I think Verizon will take care of you, because unless they basically imply they don't believe you, it's the right business thing to do.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Just called Verizon... got a rep that didn't seem like she wanted to help at all. Said that I had to have my Tour in my possession for a year before they could do anything, and that they "can't even move ahead 3 days" otherwise. I think she was not really understanding what I meant... I wasn't asking for the NE2 price, just the annual contract price... which I tried to make clear to her a number of times but I don't think she got it.

I'm going to call again later and try with another rep. Hopefully the next one will work out. :)

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Called again, and got a different rep who was more willing to help but unfortunately said they can't move the annual upgrades at all anymore (only the NE2 ones can be advanced), and neither can a supervisor. Looks like I'll have to wait until July to get one... oh well.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
From the Crackberry forums:

00Smurf said:
An annual upgrade does require 12 months exactly and a price plan of $44.99 or higher I think to be eligible. If those requirements are not met then no annual upgrade. That is set by the billing system and cannot be changed. And also upgrade dates through customer care cannot be changed unless it is incorrect. If it hasn't been 20 months since your last upgrade then your not eligible for a standard upgrade either.

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
nice Verizon, good going

That's awesome. Did they give you an resistance at first? Or was it pretty easy?

Rather easy, and the rep was far too polite and helpful to show much resistance. But then I'm the good-hearted, cheerful, schmoozing type who could probably have coaxed King Kong to put Fay Wray down and just go have a nice nap.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Rather easy, and the rep was far too polite and helpful to show much resistance. But then I'm the good-hearted, cheerful, schmoozing type who could probably have coaxed King Kong to put Fay Wray down and just go have a nice nap.

How long ago was this? It looks like they changed their policies so that they can no longer move annual upgrade dates...

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey Slinky...

Have you tried taking the approach that you will cancel your line? Seems like you are in the same boat I'm in with my Tour, and I checked - my remaining cancellation fee is about $100. I was thinking I would speak to the manager at the local shop to see if she could do anything. They'd rather keep me than lose me to an AT&T and the iPhone or Sprint's awesome data plan. Seems like keeping me for another two years, this time with a $350 cancellation instead of $175, would be a smart move.

I've also thought about posting a trade request on CraigsList.

Steve in CT

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tellu