Question Charger port danger

Fred V1

Well-known member
Jun 5, 2019
72
2
8
Visit site
My old J1 phone's charger port suddenly won't charge. And when I plug it in, the charger heats up to the point it burned my finger before the charger quickly cooled.

Now I know uprading to a new device is always the final solution, but in a device like the old phone, is it dangerous to just let the thing stay plugged in if it won't charge even after a minute? I don't want damage to my charger or cause a fire in our living space, which is what I'm worried.


The charger works just fine in my new device. It heats up in the old one. It's the phone's socket could be. I'm worried.
 

Attachments

  • 1713369193874-1492242358.jpg
    1713369193874-1492242358.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
19,325
591
113
Visit site
If it's heating up, that's definitely a sign that there's hardware damage. If it does it with every charger, just stop using the port and either replace it or use wireless charging if available.
 

Fred V1

Well-known member
Jun 5, 2019
72
2
8
Visit site
If it's heating up, that's definitely a sign that there's hardware damage. If it does it with every charger, just stop using the port and either replace it or use wireless charging if available.
And, being an old phone, the battery HUD no longer matches what's actually inside. It drains rapidly and shuts down at 70%. When it charges while the numbers go down, the meter stays still until the juices match the number, then it goes up.
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
165,766
4,965
113
Visit site
I would also be concerned about a failing battery, which can get excessively hot when it's trying to charge. In that case, it's also a significant fire hazard, so I would strongly recommend safely disposing of that phone as soon as possible, and upgrade your mother to a new phone.

Is the battery swollen? You can often tell if the back of the phone is bulging out. A quick and easy test is to place it on a tabletop (without a case) and spin it. If it spins freely, that indicates that it's bulging.
 

Fred V1

Well-known member
Jun 5, 2019
72
2
8
Visit site
I would also be concerned about a failing battery, which can get excessively hot when it's trying to charge. In that case, it's also a significant fire hazard, so I would strongly recommend safely disposing of that phone as soon as possible, and upgrade your mother to a new phone.

Is the battery swollen? You can often tell if the back of the phone is bulging out. A quick and easy test is to place it on a tabletop (without a case) and spin it. If it spins freely, that indicates that it's bulging.
I'm not sure. But I'll try to.

But that battery is old and no longer matches up with the battery indicator, it drains faster than the numbers can subtract. Plus, I tried reasoning, but it fell on deaf ears, typical face value type of people.
 

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
10,798
385
83
Visit site
But that battery is old and no longer matches up with the battery indicator, it drains faster than the numbers can subtract.

Technically speaking, that isn't what's happening. Any time you put a heavy load on the battery, you get voltage sag, which is a temporary drop in voltage as it responds to the new load. On a healthy battery, the voltage loss is minimal and a non-event. On an end of life battery, the voltage drops considerably as the capacity is reduced, even to the point it shuts off completely. Basically the battery is no longer able to supply the energy quick enough. It's not that the indicator numbers don't track fast enough, it's as of the battery was disconnected.

Hopefully you can get it replaced soon as this will only get worse over time and does pose a danger.
 
  • Like
Reactions: B. Diddy

Fred V1

Well-known member
Jun 5, 2019
72
2
8
Visit site
Technically speaking, that isn't what's happening. Any time you put a heavy load on the battery, you get voltage sag, which is a temporary drop in voltage as it responds to the new load. On a healthy battery, the voltage loss is minimal and a non-event. On an end of life battery, the voltage drops considerably as the capacity is reduced, even to the point it shuts off completely. Basically the battery is no longer able to supply the energy quick enough. It's not that the indicator numbers don't track fast enough, it's as of the battery was disconnected.

Hopefully you can get it replaced soon as this will only get worse over time and does pose a danger.
And there's my charger. I burned my finger trying to charge it, because the old thing heats it up instead of charging. It even smells like burning iron, which I take as an absolute threat, not only to the charger, but to our habitation.
 

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
943,907
Messages
6,920,597
Members
3,159,297
Latest member
Lethabo Mokoena